OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Citation plugins

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Citation plugins

Postby tlove » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:12 am

Hello,
I'm looking for advice on using the citation plugins.

I can't find a way of changing the citation plugin settings. I've looked in Conference management settings and set up, plugin management page, the review process pages, and the /plugins/ files and directories looking for a configuration file or something similar.

I would be grateful for advice! If possible I'd like the suggested citation for the papers to format in APA or Chicago.

The preferred citation would be:
ARMITAGE, R.; MONCHUCK, L.. 1999 to 2009: Re-evaluating Secured by Design Ten Years On. iDOC'09 'What's Up Doc?' International Design Out Crime Conference 2-4th December 2009, Perth, Western Australia: Design Out Crime Research Centre. Available at: http://www.designoutcrime.org/ocs2/inde ... per/view/7. Date accessed: 30 Dec. 2009.

The current citation from the plugin is as follows (it defaults to North America and the conference series rather than the specific conference):
ARMITAGE, R.; MONCHUCK, L.. 1999 to 2009: Re-evaluating Secured by Design Ten Years On. International Design Out Crime Conferences, North America, nov. 2009. Available at: http://www.designoutcrime.org/ocs2/inde ... per/view/7. Date accessed: 30 Dec. 2009.

Best wishes for the New Year,
Terry
tlove

Re: Citation plugins

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi Terry,

Thanks for bringing this up. This has actually already been reported, at least in part, before: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4645. I've reassigned the bug to 2.3.1. As noted in the bug report, "North America" is currently hardcoded, but should of course be culled from journal metadata (which currently doesn't support a general location option).

As a workaround, you can edit the ABNT citation locale directly; it's found in plugins/citationFormats/abnt/locale/en_US/locale.xml (and you'll have to do the same for every locale besides en_US you support).

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby tlove » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:49 pm

Dear James,

Many thanks! I'll change it in en_US. The completeness of the OCS software is awesome. Thanks to all of you who design OCS and write the code for it.

It would be really sweet at some time in the future if the citation plugin could also allow inclusion of 'editors' and a unique ISBN'd book title. Then it would be possible for us Australians to use OCS as a full 'proceedings book reference and it would mean that OCS has ALL the key bits for setting up a fully online conference. In Australia, in some fields, conference papers are given similar government weighting to journal papers and there is government funding riding on them. The only alternative at the moment seems to be to manually create a separate mini-website which has the proceedings and paper citations as if it were a book specific to each conference (rather than the current generic 'Conference series (2010)' title, or the work round of describing the proceedings book in a front page announcement.

Thanks again,
Terry
tlove

Postby jerico » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi all,

my name is Florian and I am currently working on behalf of the PKP on integrating citation parsing/lookup as well as improved meta-data capability to the PKP code base.

It might be interesting for you to know that in the future all citations will be generated internally from an NLM-citation based meta-data framework that (among many other things) contains a "conference-location" field which probably should be used here. The meta-data framework will be used within all citation plugins (and in many other places such as import/export, meta-data conversions, meta-data harvesting, etc.) and will provide the "correct" solution for the problem. The meta-data framework is planned to be fully rolled out by the end of 2010. This means that an immediate solution for the problem described here will have to rely on more "classic" plug-in development for the moment being. In other words: See where the required conference place information is in the application object model and use it directly.

Kind regards,
Florian
jerico

Postby smoro » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:58 pm

Dear colleagues! We use OJS 2.3.5 and faced the same problem with citation (in ABNT) - now it looks like [YORKINA, N.. SOILS AS REPRESENTATIVE COMPONENT OF URBAN SYSTEM ECOLOGICAL MONITORING. Biological Bulletin of Bogdan Chmelnitskiy Melitopol State Pedagogical University, North America, 1, feb. 2011. Available at: http://himbiol.favorsiti.net/ojs/index. ... le/view/31>. Date accessed: 16 Feb. 2012.]
Could you help us with fixing this? What exactly need our Technical Manager to improve in order to establish proper citation? Thank you.
smoro

Postby ramon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:28 am

Hello smoro,

The Citation Plugin does NOT bring specific data from Journal configurations, as they are not available yet.
You must edit the locale files of the Plugin to be able to display the location you desire.
For this, you need the Translation Plugin enabled.
ramon

Return to OCS Technical Support