OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

SEO supports and template development

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

SEO supports and template development

Postby jstuardo » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:29 am

Hello.... I'm new to OJS and I want to know 2 things. Does OJS support full SEO implementation? while seeing the DEMO, I can see a URL such as this:
http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/demo/testdrive/in ... e/view/227

Is it possible to change that "227" to be the actual title of the article? it is better to have the actual title instead of an ID, from the search engines point of view.

The other question is: is there a documentarion about creating a template from scratch? and... is there some web page to download free templates? I could not find any.

Thanks
Jaime
jstuardo

Re: SEO supports and template development

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi Jaime,

OJS doesn't have an explicit SEO implementation, but it does for example include various tweaks to make it more searchable by Google and others (eg. http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3838). You can, if you want, modify the URLs that OJS provides by using a combination of Apache's mod_rewrite (much information via a forum search), and using OJS' Public Identifier capabilities (again, much info on the forum).

There's also a ton of information on creating and editing templates on the forum, as well as on Smarty.net (that's the templating system we use). You will also probably want to take a look at the MVC architecture information in the OJS Technical Reference, available on the documentation page.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby drkelly » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:56 pm

can you give me a link on where i can find this info. on re-writing the URL for google seo. Thanks.
drkelly

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:12 pm

Hi drkelly,

SEO is a large topic, and your best bet is to a) go to Google for SEO information; and b) read and implement the suggestions in Kevin Stranack's article, Getting Found, Staying Found, Increasing Impact, which applies specifically to scholarly publications and OJS/OCS.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Development