OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

STEP BY STEP FOR USING CROSSREF

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

STEP BY STEP FOR USING CROSSREF

Postby chrisAndersen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:49 pm

hi guys,

I'm new to OJS and am editing aboriginal policy studies at the University of Alberta, Faculty of Native Studies. The first issue just came out (http://www.ualberta.ca/nativestudies/aps). I just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work and dedication you've put into this process (both with OJS and those who have contributed to the forums). It's really amazing to have this level of support at the end of my fingertips.

However:

I'm not in any way technically oriented and am having an extreme amount of trouble figuring out how to add DOIs to my journal articles. I've purchased the membership with Crossref and have received a 'general' DOI for the journal (i think, anyway) but i don't know how to generate DOIs for the individual articles. I've spent four hours going through the boards, checking OJS in an hour, etc. and am still stumped. The DOI instructions I have found so far on the forum are too technical in nature for me to really use in implementing. I have a DOI from CrossRef, and I’ve populated the places in setup where the DOI prefix needs to be, but I don’t’ know what to do next. Can you please itemize the steps I need to take to implement DOI in OJS v2.3.4, in plain language?

any help you can provide me with would be much appreciated.

thanks!

Chris Andersen
Editor, aboriginal policy studies
chrisAndersen

Re: STEP BY STEP FOR USING CROSSREF

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the kind words! We're always happy to help.

When it comes to Crossref, rest assured that you aren't the first one to experience difficulties in getting it set up. Probably the most useful thread on our forum is this one, where Mike Nason covers the steps the University of New Brunswick goes to get their DOIs registered/harvested with Crossref. Basically, this boils down to the following few steps:

1 - get your DOI prefix from Crossref, and add it to your journal under Journal Setup Step 1;
2 - also under Journal Setup Step 1, set how you want your DOI suffix to be generated (which is up to you);
3 - after you publish content, use the Crossref XML Export plugin (Journal Management -> Import/Export Data -> Crossref XML Export Plugin) to generate a Crossref XML file that includes your DOIs, and can be then submitted to Crossref manually.

Right now OJS doesn't do much to publicly display the DOI , but this will change in the future (see this report). It'd be great if OJS could submit the DOI information automatically, rather than rely on the Editor submitting manually after issue publication, but that's a service that Crossref themselves would have to provide.

If you have any further questions, please let us know!

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby acauchi » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:15 am

I hope am posting my query at the right place. With reference to this post and using Crossref I have been informed that in exporting to Crossref we are using an older version of schema. Crossref told us that schema versions prior to 4.3.0 have been discontinued. We have been directed to use a new version 4.3.0 in our header line and redeposit the file.

Can you please guide us what we need to do?
acauchi

Postby aleskl » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:24 am

acauchi wrote:I hope am posting my query at the right place. With reference to this post and using Crossref I have been informed that in exporting to Crossref we are using an older version of schema. Crossref told us that schema versions prior to 4.3.0 have been discontinued. We have been directed to use a new version 4.3.0 in our header line and redeposit the file.

I checked the output of Crossref export plugin and it generates XML using 4.3.0 schema (I'm using OJS 2.3.6). Probably you need to update the Crossref export plugin. What version of OJS are you using?

-ales
aleskl

Postby thebigaym » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:53 am

The CrossRef plugin is inserting the following characters before the <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

What's going on?
thebigaym

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:37 pm

Hi thebigaym,

Which version of OJS are you using?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby thebigaym » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:37 pm

Open Journal Systems 2.3.6.0

Note. I did an export yesterday, and it did not insert the characters. Hmm...
thebigaym

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi thebigaym,

Strange -- I can't replicate this either. Are you exporting the same articles/issues each time with different results?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby asmecher » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi all,

That's the UTF-8 BOM (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark#UTF-8); chances are that you're reading the file in an editor that doesn't know how to handle the encoding, or somehow two BOMs have been inserted into the file. A hex dump of the file might help to determine whether there's an extra BOM or just an editor having trouble with the legit one.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby thebigaym » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:38 pm

I had been using TextPad (textpad.com), but it did not reveal these characters.

CrossRef support recommended:

Please use Programmer's File Editor. The XML editor will automatically remove the invalid characters.
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/staff/steveb/cpaap/pfe/pfefiles.htm

This did display the UTF-8 BOM in the XML file OJS created, and I was able to remove the characters.
thebigaym

Postby thebigaym » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:23 am

How do I get the CrossRef plugin to fill in the <registrant> tag?

Right now, I have to manually edit the file each time.
thebigaym

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi thebigaym,

See the instructions here.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby thebigaym » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:42 pm

worked like a charm! thanks.
thebigaym

Postby cristianviza » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:52 am

Hello . I've purchased the membership with Crossref and have received a 'general' DOI (10.1440), my questions is, which option I have to select in "Upload submissions" (http://doi.crossref.org/servlet/submiss ... showUpload )to send the generated DOI.
I have a five option(Metadata - Query- DOI Query - DOI Resources - Conflict management ), and OJS and tien OJS one export option :? .

Regars Cristian
Last edited by cristianviza on Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
cristianviza

Postby mnason » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi Cristian,

You'll want to click on the Metadata tab. It will prompt you to select a file on your hard drive where you can select the "crossref.xml" file that OJS creates. From there, click on "ok". At the bottom of the page you'll see an "upload" button. Clicking on that will upload your file.

The system won't give you any immediate feedback that your XML was valid and accepted. Instead, whoever is listed as your journal support email contact (Journal Manager > Setup > Step 1.3 Technical Support Contact) will receive an email with information regarding whether or not your upload was a success.

Additionally, for any other information regarding DOIs and the process, feel free to check out the updated guide on the PKP wiki.

http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php?title=DOIPluginsDocumentation

Thanks,
Michael
mnason

Next

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion