OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS Plugin: Browse Plugin

The Plugin Gallery is a venue for users of PKP software to share their plugins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
If you post a plugin here, please include information on which versions of which applications it is compatible with. Attach a tarball of the plugin (e.g. tar cvzf myPlugin-0.1.tar.gz plugins/generic/myPlugin). Thanks for contributing!

OJS Plugin: Browse Plugin

Postby rania » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:13 am

Hello everybody!

In National Documentation Centre / NHRF (http://www.ekt.gr), we developed our first OJS plugin called Browse Plugin which adds the browse functionality over the article indexing metadata. Once installed, the plugin appears in Generic Plugins Section where the Journal Manager can customize over which metadata fields the browsing functionality will apply. Specifically, the choices are the following::
[list=]Type
Keyword
Subject
Academic Discipline
Chronological Coverage
Geological Coverage
Research sample[/list]

Once active, the plugin can be accessed at http://www.yourJournalUrl.../index.php/{journal_initials}/browse, where a list of the enabled (for browsing) metadata names is given. By selecting a metadata field, the user can browse over the values of this field. The plugin can handle cases where many values are stored in the same metadata field, when these values are separated by semicolon (;) (e.g. history; 12th century; Greece).

The Journal Manager can add the corresponding url (http://www.yourJournalUrl.../index.php/{journal_initials}/browse) to appear in Navigation Bar from Setup, Step 5,5.

You can see a demonstration of the plugin in the following address: http://christian.ojs.beta.ekt.gr/index. ... on/browse/ (This is a Q-A installation of OJS, currently under development).

Author: Ioanna-Ourania Stathopoulou - National Documentation Centre/NHRF
Software: Tested on OJS 2.3.5 & 2.3.6
Requirements: No additional Requirements
Multilingual: Yes (currently the plugin works in en_US and el_GR, more to come shortly )

We hope you enjoy the plugin and any feedback would be deeply appreciated.

Cheers,

Rania
Attachments
browse.tar.gz
Browse Plugin 1.0
(8.58 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
rania

Re: OJS Plugin: Browse Plugin

Postby carterand » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:51 am

Hi,

This is great, exactly the plugin I've been searching for! Thank you.

I tried uploading it but received the following error message from OJS:

"The uploaded plugin archive does not contain a folder that corresponds to the plugin name."
carterand

Postby rania » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:21 am

Hello,

I am glad that you find useful the plugin. :)

The error is very odd, since I have used the same package in many OJS installations both OJSv2.3.5 and OJSv2.3.6.

Could you please verify that the tar.gz file that you downloaded can be extracted without problems and that it contains inside a directory called browse?

Also, could you be more specific regarding the Operating System and the OJS installation you are using so I may be able to reproduce the error?

Kind regards,

Rania
rania

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:20 pm

Hi Rania,

This is a great plugin! I just tested it quickly: it installed fine on OJS 2.3.6, and it looks great and very easy to configure. I think this plugin will be of interest to a great many community members, and would actually be a very good addition to the core set of OJS plugins. Would your team be willing to consider contributing this to PKP so that we could add this to our core codebase?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby rania » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:11 am

Hi James,

I am glad you liked the plugin! :D
Of course we would love to contribute this to PKP in order for you to include it in your core codebase.

Let me know (either in the forum or by P.M.) what procedures are required in order to contribute the code.

Currently I am working on a newer version of the plugin, which will display the metadata organized alphabetically and, hopefully, I will have finish this by the end of this week. :)

Kind regards,

Rania
rania

Postby carterand » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:16 am

Rania,

I am using OJS version 2.3.3.2.

The download does contain browse.tar.

Is it likely I need to update OJS?

thank you,

andy
carterand

Postby rania » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:48 am

Hello Andy,

I tested the plugin in OJS 2.3.3.2 and it installed without problems and works fine.
Have you installed any other plugin to OJS? What operating system (Linux, Windows) are you using?

Kind regrads,
Rania
rania

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi Rania,

That's great news! We can handle the addition of the plugin code to our codebase -- you don't need to do anything in particular aside from giving your assent. I will wait until you have released your next plugin version, but I have already opened a bug report here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6983. Looking forward to the next version!

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby carterand » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:34 pm

Rania,

Thank you for the response. I'm going to have one of our systems people attempt to install it. Perhaps I am the variable that needs to be accounted for.

*Edit

After searching through forums, I think this thread has the answer (last post):
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7047

It's a file permissions issue, I'll wager.
carterand

Postby AdamJR » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:31 am

Indeed, it turned out to be a file permission issue for me. :)

I'll quote the fix from the other thread just for convenience purposes:

asmecher wrote:Hi Brian,

It might be a file permissions issue; the web server will need to be able to extract the archive into the plugins/block directory. Check your log for errors and double-check the permissions on that directory. For further debugging, have a look at the source of that error message -- it's in pages/manager/PluginManagementHandler.inc.php; search for "manager.plugins.invalidPluginArchive" (the locale key matching the error you encountered).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
AdamJR

About Browse Plugin

Postby aoterocalvi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:46 am

Hi

Why in my installation of browse plugin, there is not a list of letter in alfabetical order in the head of the page by category?

How I can obtain results like this http://christian.ojs.beta.ekt.gr/index. ... value/type

Thants

Alexis
aoterocalvi

Postby talknshare » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:11 am

rania wrote:Hi James,

I am glad you liked the plugin! :D
Of course we would love to contribute this to PKP in order for you to include it in your core codebase.

Let me know (either in the forum or by P.M.) what procedures are required in order to contribute the code.

Currently I am working on a newer version of the plugin, which will display the metadata organized alphabetically and, hopefully, I will have finish this by the end of this week. :)

Kind regards,

Rania

Hi Rania and James,
I was wondering if there's any update for this plugin with alphabetically organized index.
Thanks!
talknshare

Return to Plugin Gallery