OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Generate URL for Full Text

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Generate URL for Full Text

Postby tomp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:46 pm

Hi,

I am dynamically displaying a list of most recent articles on my journal homepage using a modified version of the 'popularArticles' plugin.

I'd like each article in the list to be linked to the Full Text galley, but I'm not clear how to generate the appropriate URL for the Full Text.

Can anyone help? At the moment, the best that I can do is generate a URL for the abstract...

Many thanks,
Tom
tomp

Re: Generate URL for Full Text

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:37 am

Hi Tom,

I'm not sure how the Popular Articles plugin generates URLs, but you may want to take a look at that plugin's block.tpl for a general idea, and then look at the ToC template file (templates/issue/issue.tpl, IIRC) to see how full-text article links are generated. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby tomp » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Hi James,

The code that generates the URL in issue.tpl is:

[code]<a href="{url page="article" op="view" path=$articlePath|to_array:$galley->getBestGalleyId($currentJournal)}" class="file">{$galley->getGalleyLabel()|escape}</a>[code]

So it looks like I need to access getBestGalleyID from within my plugin. I assume this will involve editing an associated handler, but I'm not sure which handler it would be.

IndexHandler.inc.php perhaps? Are you able to suggest what should be added to the handler to enable me to access getBestGalleyID from within the plugin?

Many thanks for your help,

Tom
tomp

Postby tomp » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:10 am

Hi,

I still haven't found a solution to this. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Tom
tomp

Postby jmacgreg » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi Tom,

Apologies for not getting back sooner -- I thought I had, but I must've just missed it.

You'll find the following in pages/issue/IssueHandler.inc.php:

Code: Select all
            $publishedArticles =& $publishedArticleDao->getPublishedArticlesInSections($issue->getId(), true);
            $templateMgr->assign_by_ref('publishedArticles', $publishedArticles);

This code provides the issue.tpl file with a $publishedArticles variable than includes all published articles. You'll have to add this to your plugin's class file -- see other plugins for examples of how this is done. Once you have this $publishedArticles variable available to you, you should be able to do something like:

Code: Select all
{foreach from=$publishedArticles item=article}
   {assign var=articlePath value=$article->getBestArticleId($currentJournal)}
   {foreach from=$article->getGalleys() item=galley name=galleyList}
      <a href="{url page="article" op="view" path=$articlePath|to_array:$galley->getBestGalleyId($currentJournal)}" class="file">{$galley->getGalleyLabel()|escape}</a>
   {/foreach}
{/foreach}

Note that this is totally off the top of my head -- but if you look at issue.tpl, as well as other areas that present any links to articles (the keywordCloud plugin would be another example), you should get the idea. Let us know how it goes!

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Development