OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Books For Review metadata on abstract page

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Books For Review metadata on abstract page

Postby aguen » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:10 pm

Can I get the metadata for books, entered when adding a new book for review, be displayed on the abstract page (or even table of contents page) ? Thanks for any help!

- Armin
aguen

Re: Books For Review metadata on abstract page

Postby michael » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:46 pm

Hi Armin,

There are no available options for something like this included with the Books for Review plugin.

However, you could make manual modifications to OJS to enable this sort of functionality.

Please let me know if this is something that you'd like to pursue and I can suggest some starting points.

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Postby aguen » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:11 am

Hi Michael,

thank you for your answer - it's very much appreciated.

We are in the process of migrating a journal to OJS and in this journal there is a book reviews section. Until now the basic metadata of the reviewed books as book author/editor, publisher etc. are shown in a standardized way on the abstract page. It's always bad if you have to downgrade the functionality of a journal site when mitgrating it to another plattform and besides this the presentation of the book metadata together with the review makes sense to me. (I think that there must be more OJS journals out there publishing book reviews which are looking for a way to present the book metadata in a concise and standardized format on top of the reviews or review abstracts).

Starting points are welcome. I thougt that the bookForReview.tpl (inside plugins/generic/booksForReview/templates/) might be a starting point as it basically does what I am looking for. What I need though is to add this output to the published book review.

Best regards,
Armin
aguen

Postby michael » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi Armin,

This is a good candidate for an enhancement to the current display of book review articles and I've filed it in our bug tracking system here. Please feel free to cc yourself on the bug report to receive future updates and/or to add additional details.

This will be relatively straightforward to add and we should have something ready soon. You'll also be able to patch your install with the upgraded code in the short-term (before it's included in a future release of OJS).

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Postby aguen » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:57 pm

Great, thank you Michael!

- Armin
aguen

Postby jlaherty » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:24 am

Hello,
I'm playing with the book review plugin and have asked, in settings, for mode 1 - which says that the Book metadata is published as part of the book review submission. But, where? The abstract doesn't include it, nor does the TOC. I'm hunting all over for a way for the rest of the metadata to be visible. I wonder if we need to upgrade the plugin? We're running OJS version: 2.3.6.0 and when I look at our plugin gallery, it suggests upgrading the book review plugin.
Many thanks,
Jennifer Laherty
jlaherty

Postby michael » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:59 am

Hi Jennifer,

The metadata that's currently included is via the metadata tags for the page to enable search engines to better index book reviews.

If you view the source for a published book review that has been linked up with the book record in the books for review plugin, you should be able to see these tags, e.g.

Code: Select all
<meta name="DC.Relation" scheme="isReviewOf" content="The Highway of the Atom"/>
<meta name="DC.Relation" scheme="isReviewOf" content="ISBN 9780773537835"/>
<meta name="DC.Relation" scheme="References" content="ISBN 9780773537835"/>
<meta name="DC.Relation" scheme="References" content="Van Wyck, P. (2010). The Highway of the Atom. McGill-Queen's University Press."/>

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Postby jlaherty » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 am

Thank you - but I'm not seeing those tags. I'll have our tech person look into this... but my question isn't about search and underlying meta tags - though really good to know about. I want the rich metadata visible to readers on the screen. Is there a way to show them? Book reviews traditionally indicate all this info to the reader and it's in there... so I'm hopeful!
Thanks,
Jennifer
jlaherty

Postby michael » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:59 pm

Hi Jennifer,

This is currently not possible with the plugin, but we've filed it as a potential future enhancement.

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Postby jlaherty » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:29 am

Ok - thank you for clarifying. It would be an excellent enhancement!
--Jen
jlaherty

Postby davidsorfa » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:42 am

Has there been any movement on this? It would be great to have the book metadata published on the book review abstract page. We've got tons of reviews and it would be great to make available the information that is already in the system!

http://www.film-philosophy.com/
davidsorfa

Postby kain » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:22 pm

May I just ask what are the plans for resolving the feature request by Armin from 2011?
In your linked page http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6964 I did not find supplementary information.
I think most users of the "Books for Review" plugin would greatly appreciate having the book data published on the book review abstract page

Thank you in advance and thank you for all your work!
Kai
kain

Postby michael » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:46 pm

Hi Kai,

The BFR plugin will soon be superseded by a newer plugin with expanded support for different review objects (i.e. media types) and richer metadata. Future development and enhancement will be focused on the new plugin.

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion