OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

SOLVED: Upgrading from 2.3.3.1 to 2.3.4 issue

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

SOLVED: Upgrading from 2.3.3.1 to 2.3.4 issue

Postby johnkperks » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:36 am

Hello,

Following this post (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3779), I tried to upgrade my OCS installation from 2.3.3.1 to 2.3.4 and have got the following error when running the patch.

patching file classes/admin/form/ConferenceSiteSettingsForm.inc.php
Assertion failed hunk, file ../patch-2.5.9-src/patch.c line 354

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

First of all, I am a noob on this upgrading issue. So, here is what I did.

1. Installed XAMPP on my PC
2. Downloaded the OCS 2.3.3.1 installation (in a .zip file) from my server and extracted it in htdocs folder of xampp.
3. Downloaded database file from server and imported it in phpmyadmin via the import function.
4. Changed the config.inc.php username and password so I can get the database connected
5. Checked that the site was working on my localhost by loggin in as admin
6. Downloaded the WinGNU file from http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuwin3 ... e/download.
7. Downloaded the WinGNU from the post mentioned at first (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3779) and dropped the patch.exe file in the root of the OCS folder
8. Extracted the OCS 2.3.4 patch and dropped it in root of the OCS folder and changed its name to anyName.patch
9. Started cmd.exe and went to the root folder
10. Now I tried the following commands:
Code: Select all
patch -p1 --dry-run < anyName.patch

patch -p1 < anyName.patch

However, I get the error mentioned above at the start of this post.

Reading some other posts, I decided to use the --binary command in the above both codes.
patch -p1 --dry-run --binary < anyName.patch

patch -p1 --binary < anyName.patch

In both these cases, a long list of patching files went through. However, as suggested on this post (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7987) when I went to site administrator > system information, the current version remains 2.3.3.1.

Can you suggest what am I doing wrong and how can it be corrected?

EDIT:
Following asmecher suggestion, I realised that I hadn't performed the 2nd part of the task. Thus, the following steps solved the issue.

11. Opened the config.inc.php file and changed the line "installed = on" to "installed = Off".
12. Now went to the webaddress (in my case http://localhost/ocs) and it suggested the need to upgrade.
12. Click on the upgrade button and after waiting for about a minute of so, VOILA, the upgrade went through.
13. Changed the config.in.php line "installed = On" again.

This may help noob's like me to go through the process step by step.
Last edited by johnkperks on Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnkperks

Re: Upgrading from 2.3.3.1 to 2.3.4 issue

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:38 am

Hi johnkperks,

The assertion problem is described at http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/patch.htm; using the --binary option is a good work-around.

With the code updated you're only halfway through the upgrade process; review docs/UPGRADE for instructions on upgrading the database.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support