OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

limit for the number of articles ?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

limit for the number of articles ?

Postby ppdm2 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:11 am

Hello,

I imported of about 1000 articles (inserting its' data directly in the database instead of using xml import/export), and the page submissions Unassigned became a blank page (and no template was loaded)

So I note that when I import 400 articles, it works, but over 500, I have this blank page.

Is there a limit for submitting articles in OJS 2.1 ?

Thank you.
ppdm2

Postby asmecher » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:31 am

Hi ppdm2,

There shouldn't be any limit to the number of articles supported by OJS. Usually when OJS serves a blank page it's a PHP error or database error or similar; check your error log or, if you don't have access, add the following line near the top of index.php and refresh the page:
Code: Select all
ini_set('display_errors', E_ALL);
Off the top of my head, I suspect it's a "member function on non-object"-type error resulting from a missing database entry in the edit_assignments table or something similar.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby ppdm2 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:34 am

Hello,

Thank you for your response, but, unfortunately, it wasn't this error....

I found the problem, it was due to the size of the array editorSubmissions in the functions getEditorSubmissionsUnassigned, getEditorSubmissionsInReview, getEditorSubmissionsInEditing, getEditorSubmissionsArchives (editorSubmissionDAO.inc.php)
Indeed, it cost too much memory to the system (size of an instance of and object submission * number of articles)

So I solved the problem this way :
In the array editorSubmissions, I just create a instance of submission only when it's needed : for example : in the page submissionsUnassigned, it displays only 25 articles per pages : we don't need to get all the informations of the 975 other articles.

Best regards.
ppdm2

Postby asmecher » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Hi ppdm2,

This is one area where OJS could stand to be optimized; however, we've had reasonable results using large databases of articles when PHP's memory_limit is increased from the default of 8M to, for example, 16M. Be careful that your optimization is correct -- if, for example, you need to fetch the first 30 Unassigned articles, you can't simply pass the fetch limit on to the get...Unfiltered function or you'll likely be displaying less than 30 articles.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support