OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Submission files will not upload

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Submission files will not upload

Postby nearlynarik » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi,

For reasons unknown to me at the moment my installation of OJS will no longer upload files. The only changes I have made recently to it is a change to the author.xml file. Changing it back though has not removed the problem.

For example, if i create a new submission as an author, I am asked to select the file I wish to upload. Upon clicking upload however the page reloads but the file is not uploaded. Normally, when uploading files in general, Google chrome would could actually watch the file being uploaded in the lower left corner of my screen, however as this is not happening at all I believe there is some failure in the process.

My first set of debugging was to CHMOD all the file permissions to 777, however this did nothing. I have ensured that the directory to which files get uploaded is accessible and in existence.

Could anyone guide me as to what to do next?
Hopefully, if it's not a database problem, I may just reinstall the OJS software and continue using the current database, but this takes time and naturally I'd like to know what is causing this problem in the first place.

If there is anymore information that you require to assist me, please let me know.

Thank you,
Narik
nearlynarik

Re: Submission files will not upload

Postby shrthnd » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:07 am

Hi Narik, is the application running in IIS or Apache?

My first suggestion is to check the server error logs and see if anything unusual shows up. Beyond this, is there one particular file giving you trouble or all files?

Also, check the settings in php.ini related to uploading files, i.e., "upload_max_filesize", and make sure your temp directory is writable by the webserver.

Joe
shrthnd

Postby nearlynarik » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:49 pm

The server is running Apache.

All files give me trouble.
I have double checked all file/directory permissions and they are in order. ie temp directory is writable.

The upload_max_filesize is set to 32M, which ought to be adequate.

How difficult is it to recreate my website? The only thing that needs to be maintained are the users.
nearlynarik

Postby nearlynarik » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:53 pm

Okay, this is the error log. I've split it in two because I believe the second half is unrelated to this.

It's clearly stating the problem is a permissions error, yet the permissions are correct.

Code: Select all
ojs2 has produced an error Message: WARNING: mkdir(): Permission denied In file: /home/evidence/public_html/submissions/lib/pkp/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php At line: 291 Stacktrace: Server info: OS: Linux PHP Version: 5.3.8 Apache Version: N/A DB Driver: mysql DB server version: 5.1.56-log
ojs2 has produced an error Message: WARNING: move_uploaded_file(/submission/files/journals/1/articles/9/submission/original/9-26-1-SM.docx): failed to open stream: No such file or directory In file: /home/evidence/public_html/submissions/lib/pkp/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php At line: 112 Stacktrace: Server info: OS: Linux PHP Version: 5.3.8 Apache Version: N/A DB Driver: mysql DB server version: 5.1.56-log
ojs2 has produced an error Message: WARNING: move_uploaded_file(): Unable to move '/tmp/phpmHaJwF' to '/submission/files/journals/1/articles/9/submission/original/9-26-1-SM.docx' In file: /home/evidence/public_html/submissions/lib/pkp/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php At line: 112 Stacktrace: Server info: OS: Linux PHP Version: 5.3.8 Apache Version: N/A DB Driver: mysql DB server version: 5.1.56-log

ojs2 has produced an error Message: WARNING: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/evidence/public_html/submissions/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php:368) In file: /home/evidence/public_html/submissions/lib/pkp/classes/template/PKPTemplateManager.inc.php At line: 295 Stacktrace: Server info: OS: Linux PHP Version: 5.3.8 Apache Version: N/A DB Driver: mysql DB server version: 5.1.56-log
ojs2 has produced an error Message: WARNING: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/evidence/public_html/submissions/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php:368) In file: /home/evidence/public_html/submissions/lib/pkp/classes/template/PKPTemplateManager.inc.php At line: 298 Stacktrace: Server info: OS: Linux PHP Version: 5.3.8 Apache Version: N/A DB Driver: mysql DB server version: 5.1.56-log
nearlynarik

Postby shrthnd » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:04 pm

Reading that error makes me think it's surely a permissions issue. I know you've checked and rechecked folder permissions but make sure you haven't overlooked the destination listed in your php.ini file under "upload_tmp_dir" -- this lies outside your OJS installation.

Fortunately, exporting users is easy enough.

Under "Journal Manager" select "Import/Export Data", and then "Users XML Plugin". From here you just select "Export All", save this file, and repeat the process in your new installation, this time importing the file.
shrthnd

Postby nearlynarik » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Okay, even exporting users is failing. Is there an alternative way to do so? eg, could I export/import the necessary database tables without problems?
nearlynarik

Postby shrthnd » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:24 pm

Narik, if you are going to backup users directly from the database I would recommend exporting them into an XML file, then import this file into a fresh installation using the Import/Export tool. Not knowing how how much experience you have in this area, this link might be helpful:

Also, here is an example of the XML structure you'll need to emulate: http://www.kirupa.com/web/mysql_xml_php.htm

Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE users PUBLIC "-//PKP/OJS Users XML//EN" "http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/dtds/users.dtd">
<users>
   <user>
      <username>admin</username>
      <password encrypted="md5">e0fd97b1a7d2ce9480c0cdfa7f237c4a1</password>
      <first_name>John</first_name>
      <last_name>Doe</last_name>
      <email>john.doe@ubc.ca</email>
      <affiliation locale="en_US">University of British Columbia</affiliation>
      <interests>Literacy; English Education; Hermeneutics</interests>
      <role type="author"/>
   </user>
   <user>
      <username>seagal</username>
      <password encrypted="md5">c40e6b5dc1655d080ab67137b99548c59</password>
      <first_name>Steven</first_name>
      <middle_name>F</middle_name>
      <last_name>Seagal</last_name>
      <initials>SFS</initials>
      <email>sseagal@example.com</email>
      <interests>Policy Studies</interests>
      <role type="author"/>
   </user>
</users>
shrthnd

Postby grangelino » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi,
first of all I wish to greet everybody as this is my first time here.
I'm experiencing a similar problem:
when I try to upload a file in step 2 of article submission I get the following error: "The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers."
I've seen such an error came up few years ago and I applied the recommended patch but with no results.
I'm using ojs 2.4.1 installed on a host running windows.
Is there something I can do?
Thanks in advance,
Greg
grangelino

Return to OJS Technical Support