OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Horizontal Radio Buttons?

Are you a Director, Presenter, Reviewer or Conference Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OCS from an everyday user's perspective: conference managers, presenters, and directors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OCS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OCS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OCS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OCS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OCS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Horizontal Radio Buttons?

Postby btcharpied » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:03 am

Does anyone know of a way that radio buttons can be altered to be placed inline of one another as opposed to vertical? It makes a 10 item, 10-point Likert scale quite lengthy to view it vertically.
btcharpied

Re: Horizontal Radio Buttons?

Postby ramon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:40 am

Hello btcharpied,

That will mostly depend on the code generated.
If the radio buttons and their respective labels are all within a table cell or DIV, then a few CSS rules may help you line them up.
Otherwise, you'll have to modify the template that generates the form in order to have the proper alignment you want.

Changing the template will give you more power, as you could add an item counter and change the HTML code generated to fit your needs.
If there are more than 5 items, then you could change the way the page is rendered to a horizontal display.

However, you'll have to keep track of your changes for future upgrades, unless PKP considers your idea as a default behavior.
ramon

Postby btcharpied » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi Ramon,

Thanks for the response! One of my struggles is navigating around the OCS folders. Do you know where I can find the respective files to make such alterations?

It is from a custom review form and I'm not sure exactly where to go to in order to edit them (apologies for what may ultimately be simplistic questions...I'm trying to be cautious in my attempt to not break anything :wink: )
btcharpied

Postby ramon » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:17 am

Hello btcharpied,

Checking the HTML code generated, all form items are enclosed within <p> tags and have respective <label> tags around them.
Every item has a <br /> between them.

You'll have to edit:
Code: Select all
ocs2/templates/manager/reviewForms/previewReviewForm.tpl (if you want the manager to see the form as the reviewer will)
ocs2/templates/submission/reviewForm/reviewFormResponse.tpl (reviewer form)

Look for </label><br />. This exists only for checkboxes and radio button form elements.
Removing the <br /> will line the checkboxes and radio buttons, but won't give you a lot to work with CSS, except for margins and paddings.

Depending on how you want the output to be, you'll need to add/change more controls and more HTML code.

Good luck.
ramon

Return to OCS Conference Support and Discussion