OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

suggestion - numbered articles in TOC

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

suggestion - numbered articles in TOC

Postby delong » Tue May 30, 2006 5:54 pm

I'd like to suggest a feature for future OJS versions - the option to create a numbered list of articles in the table of contents, with editor-set starting numbers.

This is useful for legal journals that use the American Association of Law Libraries' Universal Citation format. Articles are cited by article name, journal publication year, journal name, and article number within the journal issue. Ex. Legal Article, 2006 Law Journal 13. Currently I can do this by entering the article number in the article title, but this is not a favored way to do things because of metadata issues.

Since I plan on the Volume being an annual open volume that we'll add articles as they come in, each section of an issue ideally will have a non-continuous number range. Ex. Section 1 of an issue is article numbers 1-19, Section 2 of an issue is article numbers 20-30, etc. The actual published issue may only have 3 articles in Section 1, but we need to "pad" the space for future articles in Section 1.

I may be able to get this feature done and submitted as a patch or plugin, if appropriate.
delong

Postby John » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:06 am

In journal Setup (4.2), we enable identifiers to be added to an item, but I can see that the numbering of items in the ToC is somewhat different, and we would welcome a patch on this, that would form part of 4.2.

4.2 Identification of Journal Content

Unique Identifier
Articles and issues can be tagged with an identification number or string, employing a registration system such as the Digital Object Identifier System (DOI).

Custom identifiers will be used to identify issues.
Custom identifiers will be used to identify published items.
Custom identifiers will be used to identify supplemental article files.
John

Postby delong » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:16 pm

Thank you for the reply. I'll see if I can wrangle a grad student to work on it. It is beyond my meager programming skills.
delong

Return to OJS Development