You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Need Development Help

OCS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
The Public Knowledge Project Support Forum is moving to http://forum.pkp.sfu.ca

This forum will be maintained permanently as an archived historical resource, but all new questions should be added to the new forum. Questions will no longer be monitored on this old forum after March 30, 2015.

Need Development Help

Postby vwbpe » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:16 pm

I need some help with development on OCS (NOT OJS).

I have two things I need to do.

1) Add about 4 new fields to the user profile (avatar name, osgrid, region, home slurl) - all text fields
2) Add 2 new fields to the metadata for a submission (proposal format, preferred location) - both drop down lists.

I can program but I'm generally not programming at this level and certainly not breathing it 100% of the time. Trying to come up to speed on how you guys have cross-connected the heck out of this thing to the point where you can't do something simple like adding 1 field to the user profile without updating 40 tpl files, 5 database tables, 10+ php files, and at least 2 xml is beyond me. It's going to take me a month or more to trace this stuff out part-time using the technical references - I just don't have the time for it and I need it done this month.

Is there anyone that knows how to do this quickly? or Is there any type of a cheat-sheet or walk-through that will short-cut the learning curve on this?

Re: Need Development Help

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:28 pm

Hi Kevin,

PKP's commercial offerings -- specifically, hiring us for custom development work -- may be an option for you. Prices are here. If you would like to hire a PKP developer, please contact us via our contact form; specify that it is a paid customization request, and give us as much detail as you can so that we can provide a quote. Along with what you've already provided here, we would need to know where that additional information would be available.

Return to OCS Development