OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

displaying both cover image & TOC on home page..?

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Re: displaying both cover image & TOC on home page..?

Postby dorijan » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:23 am

Hi to all...
Does anyone have files that are needed to get TOC and picture on home page together for ojs 2.3.6? or maybe plugin?
thank you
Dorijan
dorijan

Postby ramon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:44 am

Hello Dorijan,

If I understand your question correctly, on Step 5 of the journal Configuration you will have an upload field to add an image to the index page of said journal, where the table of contents is displayed. Usually, that field is used to publish the cover of the current issue.
Also, when editing the information on the issue, there is another upload field to send a cover image.

Is this what you are asking, or something else entirely?
ramon

Postby dorijan » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:06 am

Hi...
I would like to display both picture and table of content (not just link) side by side...
Now, I see a picture, and above is link to table of content...
I hope you understood me now :)
Thank you,
Dorijan
dorijan

Postby ramon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:06 pm

Dorijan,

Check Step 5.2 of the journal Configuration.
There's a checkbox to enable the display the table of contents along with the image.
ramon

Postby dorijan » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:53 pm

I have that checkbox checked, but this is how it looks like:
http://kinesiology.kif.hr/index.php/kinesiology/issue/current
and
http://kinesiology.kif.hr/index.php/kinesiology/index
as you can see, there is a link to table of content and picture of cover.
I would like to show picture of cover, and beside to show full Table of content list...
dorijan

Postby ramon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:22 am

Hello Dorijan,

OJS handles the TOC differently when there is a cover image added to the issue: it will NOT display the TOC on the homepage, only the cover image with a link to the TOC.
If you remove the cover image from the issue, then the TOC will display at the homepage, but even then it won't be enough, as the homepage image is placed above the TOC, and, if you've enabled Announcements, they will be displayed between the two.

This will require changing the following template: ojs2/templates/index/journal.tpl

It will be easiest way to reorganize the code to suit your needs, and keep track of these changes for future reference when upgrading.
ramon

Postby Garant » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:48 am

Hi!
Need some help from you guys.
I need to publish latest journal's small cover only at home page which will lead to current issue
Here is the example:
http://www.eht-journal.net/index.php/ehtj/index
Could it be done automatically? Or every time when new journal will be published I should update covers at home page manually?
Thank you!
Garant

Postby Garant » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:49 am

Garant wrote:Hi!
Need some help from you guys.
I need to publish latest journal's small cover only at home page which will lead to current issue
Here is the example:
http://www.eht-journal.net/index.php/ehtj/index
Could it be done automatically? Or every time when new journal will be published I should update covers at home page manually?
Thank you!

As I understood - it is a custom plugin.
Can someone provide two OJS get methods which returns the latest TOC cover(small), the latest article with it's link and publisher's name ?
Garant

Postby Garant » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:51 am

How to show current cover I found. The one question left: how directly in template output last articles data? Execute DB query in template?
Garant

Postby Garant » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:26 am

Hi!
I've rewrote CustomBlock Plugin to suit my needs, but as it extends BlockPlugin it only outputs data in sidebars.
How can I make that my custom block would appear at home page?
Should I rewrite a lot of plugin logic or it could be done simpler?
Garant

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:44 pm

Hi Garant,

Actually, you shouldn't need to do anything particularly special to display your current issue's cover image on your journal's home page -- simply upload a cover image for that issue, and then enable the "Add the table of contents for the current issue (if available)" option under Journal Setup Step 5.2. Whenever there is an image for a particular issue, it will then appear.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby Garant » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:07 am

HI, jmacgreg.
It appears in not right position. Not customizable.
I started playing with writing plugin, but I'm stuck. I've posted a topic in plugin gallery.
Garant

Postby jmacgreg » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:41 pm

Hi Garant,

The way Coaction does this is actually a little different than the way I described -- my apologies. But they don't do this by using a block plugin (and changing the OJS code so that you could display block plugins in areas beside the sidebar would be at this point a very advanced project.) Coaction uploads a thumbnail of their journal to their website, and then adds HTML to display the thumbnail and generate the hyperlink to Journal Setup Step 5.2: either the Journal Description or to Additional Content. (I can't remember exactly which one they add to, but you should be able to experiment with both to see how you like the option to be displayed.) Recent versions of OJS have an image upload option available within the TinyMCE field editor -- you can use that to upload and display the image directly.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby Garant » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:51 pm

Hi, jmacgreg!
Thank you for your reply!
I've solved this question with writing Generic plugin and slightly changing the template.
Now everything works as it should
Garant

Postby Pangur » Wed May 29, 2013 8:24 am

I'd also like to display the cover image and the TOC at the same time. The problem is that any modification to this template affects all the journals in our server, and trying to solve that issue I came up with this old post from asmecher (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2267&start=15) that suggests using this code:

Code: Select all
{if $currentJournal && $currentJournal->getPath() == 'someJournalPath'}
               {* Journal-specific behavior here *}
               {/if}

I'm a newbie and don't know much about smarty templates so, would you be so kind as to give me an example of the code above? Something like 'Template Modifications for Dummies'...

Have anyone maybe come up with a different solution?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best,

Pangur
Pangur

PreviousNext

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion