OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Notification Failure (bug or setting issue?)

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Notification Failure (bug or setting issue?)

Postby macgruder » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:32 am

Version : 2.3.4.0
In Notification Settings
/index.php/JOURNALNAME/notification/settings

Journal Managers have this setting which has been set as checked by a number of users:

Submission Events
A new article, "Title", has been submitted.
Allow these types of notifications to appear in my notification feed. CHECKED
Send me an email for these types of notifications. CHECKED

but although all other mails go out out fine such as informing the 'setter' (and the mail that can be set in the Journal settings) a mail is not sent to people who have checked this box, and neither does anything appear in the

Notifications > View

area. Nothing appears in debug or in the mail logs to suggest that these mails are even being attempted to be sent out (and of course nothing is appearing in the Notification area anyway).

I'm at a bit of a loss what the issue could be rather than a bug or an obscure setting.
macgruder

Re: Notification Failure (bug or setting issue?)

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi Macgruder,

Can you confirm whether the users with that setting checked are also editors or section editors assigned to the journal section that is receiving submissions? IIRC, only editors/section editors receive notifications -- not journal managers.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby macgruder » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Hi James,
Yes, I can confirm they are also editors, and these editors have checked every notification.

I've actually updated to 2.3.6.0 (the latest).

This is what happens at present:

An author submits.

• The author receives a message "Thank you for submitting the manuscript, "Foo" to Bar Journal."
  • The site admin receives an identical message (even to the To: field is the same) but with a different X-Original-To:
  • Nobody else receives a notification. The notifications don't occur in either mail form or in the notification feed

OS platform FreeBSD
PHP version 5.3.6
Apache version Apache/2.2.19 (FreeBSD) mod_ssl/2.2.19 OpenSSL/0.9.8e DAV/2 PHP/5.3.6 with Suhosin-Patch Phusion_Passenger/3.0.7

There are no errors occurring in the log files either.
macgruder

Postby mcrider » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi Macgruder,

Thats a bug -- See http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6802 for a patch.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby TonyOlivero » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:47 pm

I have applied the patch in bug 6802 and am still encountering this issue. Though the user is both an editor and a journal manager. Does this present a conflict? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tony

--
Tony Olivero, Technical Manager
Journal of Blindness Innovation and Research
http://www.nfb-jbir.org
TonyOlivero

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:48 pm

Hi Tony,

That shouldn't make a difference. Can you confirm that the editor is assigned to that particular section (under Journal Management -> Journal Sections)?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Development