OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Uploading & displaying additional filetypes (newbie)

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Uploading & displaying additional filetypes (newbie)

Postby kintopp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi, I'm a relative newcomer to OJS (v2.3.5). I saw from a blog post on the main site (http://pkp.sfu.ca/node/2734) that some journals are offering MP3 and EPUB files alongside PDF and/or HTML. I'd also like to add EPUB content to our journal (http://jdhcs.uchicago.edu). As I recall, I've seen some discussion on the forum on whether/when OJS will be able to export EPUB from e.g. TEI but no discussion on how to upload an existing EPUB file so that it appears alongside a PDF based article (I suspect this is because the process is in fact be very simple).

Would someone please give me a concise, step-by-step for this?

many thanks in advance,

Arno

[Update: I wonder too, how the latest 2.3.6 patch limiting allowed file types (i.e. MIME types) would affect .epub uploads. Wouldn't it block these unless an exception was added to the permissible list?]
kintopp

Re: Uploading & displaying additional filetypes (newbie)

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi Arno,

There's currently no way to automatically create Epub files from eg. TEI files, although that is definitely on our radar; just can't promise any sort of delivery date. You can otherwise manually upload your Epub files as a regular galley as an Editor. To do so you will have to go to the submission's Editing page, and upload a new galley file under Layout Editing, the same way you would do so for a PDF. You may have to edit the galley label on the subsequent page to say "EPub". And since Editors are considered authorized users in the OJS system (and the only ones who have access to that page), you can upload any kind of files you want -- including Epub files.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby ntallman » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:20 pm

Could you please provide an update on auto-generation of ePub files as a feature of OJS?
ntallman

Postby asmecher » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:26 pm

Hi ntallman,

Nothing to report -- OJS currently does not automatically generate galley (download) formats, beyond the XML Galleys Plugin's ability to transform XML uploads via XSL (e.g. NLM/JATS XML into XHTML). Watch our blog for news on an XML publishing workflow, but this will focus on NLM/JATS.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion