OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Export to Ebsco

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Export to Ebsco

Postby samkalb » Tue May 17, 2011 6:31 am

One of our journals has been approved for indexing by Ebsco. They require that the metadata and the articles be transmitted separately. The basic export function embeds the articles in the metadata xml. How can we fulfill the request from OJS (v.2.3.3.2)? I have attached their spec sheet
Attachments
Data_Delivery_Information-1.doc
(207 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
samkalb

Re: Export to Ebsco

Postby jmacgreg » Wed May 18, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi samkalb,

There isn't currently a way to export content this way, but there are a few easy ways to accomplish what you want.

Regarding the article metadata: since they aren't picky about what kind of DTD they receive, you should be able to use the Crossref export tool to export article metadata. You can also use the METS XML export process, with the added benefit that the XML file includes pointers to the galley files online as well -- EBSCO may be able to handle the METS XML in such a way that the galleys could be harvested automatically.

Regarding the files themselves: there's no way currently to export files directly via OJS aside from the XML Export plugin. One option would be to archive and download the files directory via FTP, and then manage the files from your local machine. You could also write a script to do this as well, and with a bit of work a plugin could be written to accomplish this (including the file renaming, which looks to be a requirement in the spec sheet). If you have any development expertise on hand, let us know and we can definitely help with pointers etc. If there's enough interest from the community about this, we're happy to consider it as a feature request.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby obi » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:49 am

Hi,
We are interested in putting "export to EBSCO" as a feature request.

Regards
Obiajulu Odu
University of Tromsø
obi

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:36 pm

Hi Obi,

We'd be happy to consider this as a feature request. Do you folks at Tromsø have any development or testing resources at hand? Ideally, we'd love to be able to assist you in developing such a plugin; we're happy also to add it as a feature request item for us to tackle, but we have other pressing priorities at the moment and I can't guarantee that we'd be able to get to it in the very near future.

In either case, if you folks (and samkalb) already work directly with EBSCO and have a workflow already fleshed out (especially with regards to how you send your files to EBSCO), please let us know your preferred workflow method and I can work up a more coherent structure for the plugin.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby obi » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:59 am

Hi James,
We do not have any development or testing resources at hand. We received few weeks ago the same information as samkalb from Ebsco. We are just figuring out what to do.
Regards
Obi
obi

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:00 pm

Hi Obi, Samkalb,

I just had a thought -- the XML Articles and Issues Export plugin exports everything -- all issue and article metadata, and all galley files (PDF, HTML, etc.) as well, which are embedded within the XML file by base64-encoding them. (See this page for more information on exporting articles and issues from OJS, and see here for the XML DTD.)

Essentially, there's already everything EBSCO needs in one XML file, although in a slightly unusual format. Any chance you could follow up with them to see if they could use this file to import your articles? It'd be great if EBSCO could provide an OJS article ingestion function -- and possibly less problematic than having us develop, ship and maintain a plugin to all users who might need it. If they are unable to do so, please let me know and I'll file a feature request.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jcb » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:35 am

samkalb,

I find myself in the same situation, needing to send a data feed to EBSCO.
What solution did you use?
jcb

Postby obi » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:46 am

Hi,
I wrote to EBSCO many weeks ago suggesting that they provide an OJS article ingestion function since many of their articles are coming from OJS platform. I have not heard from them. Could it be possible that PKP prioritise developing a plugin since they are many OJS users asking about it? :)

Regards
Obi
obi

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:53 am

Hi Obi,

We can certainly look into it. Before doing so, I might follow up with EBSCO myself. Can you point to where I might find information (esp. contact/support information) regarding their data delivery service?

Thanks,
James
jmacgreg

Postby obi » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:54 am

Hi James,
What is the status now? Or has anyone developed a plugin for Ebsco delivery?

Regards
Obi
obi

Postby springday » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi Obi,

I'm not a PKP developer, but I'd like to help. I'm not sure if I could get a full-blown OJS plugin done. However, if you (and maybe also the PKP team) could answer me a few questions, I'll see what I can do. So here we go:

1) Obi, are you comfortable with running an XSLT transformation on an XML file? (It's rather easy with little GUI tools like e.g. Antilles XML). In this case I'll provide an XSLT file that will transform the OJS article export into something Ebsco could use.
2) Can you get a more detailed specification from Ebsco? The description that was linked here in this discussion ("Data Delivery Information") thread a while ago is extremely unspecific.
3) Would you be willing to share a sample export of one of your journal's issues with me? (Just using the issue export in OJS and send me the xml file or attach it here?)
4) Now something for the developer's team: I'm only comfortable doing the processing in XSLT 2.0, as I would like to write several distinct files and might have to set up some XSL-function for processing the BASE64 encoded PDFs. If I'll get the EBSCO transformation done and would like to try making a plugin out of it, I couldn't reuse it in the realm of php, where libxslt/xsltproc is only supporting XSLT 1.0, right? Do you know a way how to enable PHP to run XSLT 2.0 transformations?

Regards,
Kai Weber
springday

Return to OJS Technical Support