OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Single Journal - short URL

General inquiries about the PKP.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, vgabler, barbarah, John

Forum rules
Feel free to post general inquiries about the PKP Here. We'll also post notes of interest from time to time. You may also want to check out the PKP blog.

Single Journal - short URL

Postby Pance » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:18 pm

I just installed OJS 2.2.4. I should say that I had the endless loop problem with the setup, but I modified the config.inc.php file - PATH_INFO = On (Line 62) - and it went well.

But I have a question - we will be using OJS for a single journal, and I want short and easy to rememebr URLs. How does one go about so that I don't have to create a journal with it's own URL? Is this possible? Can someone direct me to an example of a domain with a single journal?

Thanks.

Pance.
Pance

Re: Single Journal - short URL

Postby 2020media » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:09 am

I would very much like to know how to do this as well.
2020media

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:46 am

Hi folks,

Try searching the forum for mod_rewrite -- you'll get a ton of info on how to rewrite URLs to shorter, more friendly ones. You will also probably want to set journal redirection to a specific journal in Site Admin -> Settings -> Journal Redirect. See this page for more detail on the journal redirect.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby scholartime » Thu May 26, 2011 8:18 pm

I solve this problem in Cpanel. There are two ways: 1. Redirect: you will get a URL such as: www.yourdomain.com/xxx 2. Subdomain: such as: xxx.yourdomain.com

Please see an example: www.sciedu.ca/rwe
scholartime

Postby newone » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:29 pm

@scholartime could you explain what you did? Your url looks the same like the default ones.

@James is there a way to rewrite the homepage to have selected journals appear on the homepage?

The option of having a front-page setting would be good. The ability to publish a journal without having it appear on the homepage, but the journal can still be accessed. A frontpage option will allow users to highlight which journal they want to appear on the OJS homepage.

If there is a checkbox when you create a hosted journal on OJS that will allow you to tick frontpage checkbox, that will be nice.

Can that be added as a feature? Where do we request features for OJS?
newone

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi newone,

You can set whether a given journal is displayed publicly on the site's homepage by editing the journal options under Site Settings -> Hosted Journals -> [journal name]. Just check/uncheck the box for "Enable this journal to appear publicly on the site".

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby newone » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:53 pm

Dear James,

I am aware of this. What I was requesting is actually a feature.

Is there a way to put a check box that shows up when you create a journal in OJS? I assume that OJS users should have a way of organizing their OJS homepage especially if they host several journals. Perhaps, you want to highlight one journal on the main homepage, but still want the other journals published but not appear on the homepage to reduce clutter.

In Hosted Journals, when you create or edit a journal, there will be two checkboxes that says the following:

"Enable this journal to appear publicly on the site".

"Feature journal on the homepage"

Finally, If you do not tick the "Enable this journal to appear publicly on the site," checkbox, the journal is not published at all.

If the journal was previously published and you un-tick the "Enable this journal to appear publicly on the site" checkbox, people can still see the journal if they know the path.

Hope it is clear.
newone

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:15 pm

Hi Newone,

Actually, you can already more or less get what you want without necessarily developing any new features -- even if the journal isn't displayed publicly on the site, it can be accessed by users; and you could always add "feature journal" information to the Site Settings' Introduction or About the Site Description boxes. You could even add an image, links to the ToC, etc. to these boxes -- which would probably be more flexible in the end than any generalized "featured journal" feature that we would come up with. But if this isn't satisfactory for some reason, please feel free to give us more detail in what you're looking for, and we can definitely consider it as a feature request.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby newone » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:35 pm

Hello James

Even if the journal isn't displayed publicly on the site, it can be accessed by users. How would users access a journal that isn't displayed publicly? Or do you mean to say that all registered users for the journal will have access to the journal if they are logged in? Please, explain?

Perhaps a Frontpage Plugin, which will allow an OJS administrator to select what they want to appear on the main OJS homepage.

If someone publishes multiple journals, it would be helpful if there is a way for them to organize their main OJS homepage via a plugin. For example, a user can decide which journal (s) to feature on the homepage, which articles to feature on the homepage, which TOC from the desired journal to feature on the homepage, recently published articles on the homepage (can determine how many to show), news and announcements, and a browse link to all the journals all from the homepage.

Is this possible as a feature?
newone

Return to General Discussion