OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS licensing questions

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

OJS licensing questions

Postby socialink » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:31 am

Hello,
I am a web developer interested in using OJS as a system for a client (an independent published) who will restrict access and offer only subscription/etc models. I am aware that this is technically feasible within OJS but was curious as to whether there are clearly defined terms available somewhere on the web (to show our client) that prove definitely that OJS may be used for this purpose. I'm aware that the software itself is open-source, but are there any restrictions on its potential use?
Thank you in advance!
socialink

Re: OJS licensing questions

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:44 pm

Hi socialink,

Our software is released under the GNU GPL (specifically version 2). The GNU website has plenty of information what you can and can't do with software using its license, as does Wikipedia etc.

OJS also includes optional subscription/content access controls, which have absolutely nothing to do with the software license itself -- the software license only applies to the software code, not the material published using the software. (I hope that's clear as mud. :D)

In a nutshell, you (or any publisher) are absolutely free to use our software to publish open access or subscription content; you're free to modify the software, retheme it, extend it, etc. and even free to redistribute it provided you keep the original attribution and license in place. You're also more than welcome to install the software yourself and charge a hosting service for others; or offer OJS development services. The major problems we've encountered have almost all involved folks rebranding/reselling OJS as a software product of their own, without proper attribution to PKP, and while also removing or rephrasing the software license. So basically, don't do that and you'll be all set. :D

If you have any other questions, let us know!

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Re: OJS licensing questions

Postby socialink » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:17 am

Thank you James - just the details I wanted to know!
socialink

Return to OJS Development