OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Section Editor just to suggest decision

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Section Editor just to suggest decision

Postby piotreba » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:55 am

Hello,

In our journal there is a working model where Section Editor (SE) is assigned only for review stage and the Editor (E) make the final decision about the submission. But OJS allows SE to decide on the final acceptance/rejection of the submission. We prefer SE only suggest his opinion about the submission (after revisions) to the E, without being able to decide about the submission. Is it a matter of some work around policy between E and SE or there is some options that can prevent SE from deciding about the submission where the can only suggest their decision to the E?

If there is an option where E can only assign SE for review stage, the SE shouldn't be able to make final decision with the author on his submission

Peter
piotreba

Re: Section Editor just to suggest decision

Postby ramon » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:16 am

Hello piotreba,

If your section editors will only review the paper, then I would recommend registering them as reviewers.
This will make your life much easier.
You may also develop a specific review form for this type of reviewer and assign it so you have a faster and more controlled process.

This approach is also used when the Copyediting involves multiple rounds and people, such as translators.
ramon

Postby piotreba » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:10 am

no, they must assign reviewers, so if they were reviewers themselves they couldn't assign reviewer... so the section editor account is needed, but for me it has too many privileges. in my opinion this account should be more flexible, I mean the editor or rather journal manager should have more control over configuration of this account.

Peter
piotreba

Postby boringuser » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:57 am

ramon wrote:Thank you for your questions. I understand that you are concerned and I will try my best to help you with your concerns.
If your section editors will only review the paper, then I would recommend registering them as reviewers.
This will make your life much easier.
You may also develop a specific review form for this type of reviewer and assign it so you have a faster and more controlled process.

This approach is also used when the Copyediting involves multiple rounds and people, such as translators.

Hi. I also want to do the same thing that Peter wants to do, but I don't want to register them as reviewers. Is there any other way? sorry, english is not my first language, I hope you understand my question.
Last edited by boringuser on Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
boringuser

Postby ramon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:38 pm

Hello all,

Boringuser,

Althought the SE can take an editorial decision on the paper, the Editor is still the "overlord".
The SE has powers only over the submissions assigned to him/her, so, you can "assume" the decision is not "sovereign".
The Editor can still be assigned to the submission and make changes as required.

However, I still think that if your SE is only responsible for providing another "review", then nothing simpler than to register them as reviewers and create a specific form for them.

The SE is only useful when you have a large team of responsible people, and you want the system to assign them as responsible to overview the papers sent to their respective sections.
Otherwise, the process may become cumbersome and bureaucratic, hence the reviewer approach.
ramon

Postby sagpub » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:09 am

I have the exact same issue. Our section editors manage the review process, but are not the final decision makers as to whether to accept an article or not. Often, they are subject matter experts for the area that the article covers.

They will perform an initial overview to make sure the article appears to be appropriate for the journal and then they will facilitate the review process with the reviewers. They will then provide a recommendation to the editor.
sagpub

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion