OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Strange display problem in "presentations" section

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Strange display problem in "presentations" section

Postby jaguar » Sun May 29, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi, just a quick question regarding a display problem under the presentations section of our conference.

http://www.cue2011conference.org/index. ... 11/cue2011

Check "Presentations" on the left, and then click on a random abstract and you will see what I mean (Mine is attached for your reference here). The top part has some weird large font problem going on. Also, the room/building don't appear as they should. Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks so much

Zane Ritchie
jaguar

Re: Strange display problem in "presentations" section

Postby mendesrocha » Mon May 30, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi Jaguar,

This problem is due to a conflict within your CSS's files.

To solve it I suggest you to add the following lines at you CSS file bottom:

Code: Select all
#main .menu li a {
   font-size: 10px;
   letter-spacing: 0px;
 }
mendesrocha

Postby jaguar » Tue May 31, 2011 1:07 am

Thank you very much for your quick reply. That solved it! Lovely. Oh, and I was wondering if you might be able to explain why the top part is coming out like this:

Font Size:
Building teacher and learner motivation through classroom assessment techniques
Greg Rouault

##manager.scheduler.building##: Toyo Gakuen Hongo
##manager.scheduler.room##: 1303
Date: 2011-07-02 11:50 AM – 12:15 PM
Last modified: 2011-04-20

Thanks and really do appreciate the help.
jaguar

Postby jaguar » Tue May 31, 2011 1:33 am

mendesrocha, sorry, and one other thing: The CSS modifications worked fine in Chrome, but not in Firefox. Firefox still displays it in the same corrupted manner.... :?
Anyway, It seems that the theme I chose is not applying to the "Presentations" part for some reason.... I think that is the problem.

Thanks.
jaguar

Postby ramon » Tue May 31, 2011 5:55 am

Hello jaguar,

You have a problem with your CSS ojs2/styles/common.css file:
#navbar a
{
font-size: 2.65em;
letter-spacing: 2.05em;
}

These settings define a very large font-size and large letter spacing.
The default should be something like:
#navbar a
{
font-size: 0.65em;
letter-spacing: 0.05em;
}

I would recommend creating your own theme plugin, as it will make maintenance a bit easier.

Regarding the missing translated keys:
##manager.scheduler.building##:
##manager.scheduler.room##:

As Admin you have access to the Translator Plugin where you can check for translation problems.
If you have ssh access, then grep for the variable manager.scheduler.building, for example. They should be within the locale/language_CODE/manager.xml file.
I noticed you hid the top navbar somehow on your main pages. I checked your version and it seems to be a slightly previous version than the latest one.
This may explain the missing translations. I have a test install with 2.3.3.1, where this is not happening.
ramon

Postby asmecher » Tue May 31, 2011 9:01 am

Hi all,

For the untranslated locale keys, see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6651 for a patch.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby jaguar » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:22 am

Hi guys - thanks very much. Solved the font part! Silly mistake on my part.
Regarding the missing translated keys, both exist within the manager.xml file (I am using US English - so can't understand why they would not have been translated in the first place). I tried replacing the file with an Italian version and still got the same error. I suspect it is something else. Also why, "font size" before the paper title? That is another mystery. Finally, I looked at the page ALec provided for the patch, but there was nothing there. Sorry, am I missing something? Really appreciate any advice.
jaguar

Postby jaguar » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:54 am

Hi again, tried various ways to fix the missing key translations including editing locale --> manager.xml directly, but still no go. I also updated to the latest version of OCS. Also, I am wondering why no matter what I do, the presenters abstract page (as posted above) refuses to come in line with the rest of the site as far as styling goes.

Secondly, the menus at the top also refuse to disappear, even though I un-check that in the display options.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
jaguar

Postby asmecher » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:28 am

Hi jaguar,

I posted a link to the wrong entry; it's been corrected above.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby jaguar » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:24 pm

Hey, mate. Thanks for that (I actually found the link using Google). However, when I tried to patch it, it gave me an error:

patching file b/pages/paper/PaperHandler.inc.php
Hunk #1 FAILED at 50.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file b/pages/paper/PaperHandler.inc.php.rej

Not sure why that would be. I read elsewhere that having HUNK errors does not necessarily mean it didn't work. However, the file appears to to be patched at all. Any ideas? Perhaps you could just post the patched PaperHandler file? That would be a great help.

Thanks and sorry if I missed something simple.
jaguar

Postby asmecher » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:36 am

Hi jaguar,

That probably means it couldn't find the file to patch; try using the -p1 option to the patch tool. Alternately, you can read the patch file and see the modification it describes -- it's pretty simple. It describes modifying pages/paper/PaperHandler.inc.php, and finding the following code, near line 50:
       $paper =& $this->paper;
       $this->setupTemplate();

$rtDao =& DAORegistry::getDAO('RTDAO');
       $conferenceRt = $rtDao->getConferenceRTByConference($conference);
...and adding the following, just where the blank space is:
      // manager.scheduler.building / manager.scheduler.room
      Locale::requireComponents(array(LOCALE_COMPONENT_OCS_MANAGER));
Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby jaguar » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:58 am

Hi there Asmecher, I really appreciate that. I did what you said, and manually patched it with the code you provided. Still no change (I uploaded it twice and re-checked it a few times make sure!). I have to be missing something else but for the love of God I can't figure it out. I really had thought this would have solved it. Everything is updated to the latest version... I am really lost on this. Sorry to cause you so many headaches...
jaguar

Postby asmecher » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:28 am

Hi jaguar,

Hmm -- that fix has worked on our own systems, so I'm wondering if it's possible that some other modification has inadvertently broken the locale files or something. What else have you modified? Could you try validating the locale files you've changed using an XML validator to make sure there's not a typo causing trouble?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby jaguar » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:12 am

Thanks guys. I guess we will have to live with it like it is. I really don't know how to deal with it... It is strange because just that page alone refuses to follow the themes of the rest of the site... including missing locales and the "font size" appearing at the top. No idea...

Best, and thanks for trying to help.
jaguar

[SOLVED] Re: Strange display problem in "presentations" sect

Postby ramon » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:30 am

Hello all,

My 2.3.3-1 OCS is in pt_BR, will this patch fix this?
I tried running the Translation Plugin and it didn't detect any missing keys.
The page continues to display the missing keys.

I succesfully applied the patch above, but nothing changed.
I have no problems with the theme, though. Visually it's all fine.

This is happening on an already published conference. Not sure it that's makes any difference.
I tried clearing data and template caches, but nothing changes.

[UPDATE: 2011-06-03 @15:26 Brasíla Local Time]
After applying all previous listed patches, and then applying this patch, everything worked. The locale keys are translated now.
ramon

Next

Return to OCS Technical Support