OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

More OxS email issues

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

More OxS email issues

Postby ramon » Fri May 20, 2011 7:52 am

Hello all,

Unfortunately, email is becoming an issue when hosting providers force you to use SMTP.
The problem is that most are blocking messages sent from a different domain than that of the software itself.
For example, editor@gmail.com wants to email author@yahoo.com, but the MTA is sending as ocs@mydomain.com.
This type of situation is being blocked, I assume because it seems to be a phishing or spam attempt.
Is my assumption correct?
How to overcome this limitation?
Should we move to another host?
Anyone knows somewhere where this is possible?
I'm not sure, but I think our servers also have/had this problem, mainly getting messages blocked when they get received and getting return error messages.

We configured OCS to use another SMTP, which apparently is allowing messages to be sent, but it is not a guarantee that all messages will be received.
Is this assumption also correct?
What can we do?
ramon

Re: More OxS email issues

Postby JasonNugent » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:23 am

Hi Ramón,

I am not sure if you've solved your issue, but mail can be a tricky thing. OCS can be configured to use SMTP instead of the mail() function for sending mail, and you can also set things like the envelope sender and the sendmail_path inside of your php.ini file. I am not sure what you're using as your MTA but postfix (which provides a sendmail-type wrapper) and sendmail can have a -f argument passed in via the command line to force the envelope sender to appear to be something other than the default. You could specify this option inside of your php.ini file and uncomment the sendmail_path setting and see how that goes.

I'd also recommend that you make sure that the DNS records for your domain contain SPF TXT records which list the IP addresses of your mail servers, or those machines which are allowed to send mail on your behalf. Many ISPs now look up these and either block or negatively weight (as spam detection) mail coming from domains that are missing these.

Here is some documentation:

http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/ans ... swer=33786

Regards,

Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Return to OCS Technical Support