OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Initial login page takes data, but remains the same

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Initial login page takes data, but remains the same

Postby fgiannet » Mon May 08, 2006 3:46 pm

Hello,

My system consists of

PHP 5.1.4
Apache 2.0.58
MySQL 4.1.14
OJS 2.1.0-1

The system says it has installed correctly, the database is created, but the login page does not change when I enter the admin login information. It takes the information, when the data is wrong it tells me, processes for a couple of minutes, but returns the exact same page. Any thoughts?
I have enabled mbstring (shouldn't matter). This is the very first login.

Thank you in advance
Fred
fgiannet

Postby asmecher » Mon May 08, 2006 4:18 pm

Hi Fred,

Two things to check:
  • Are cookies enabled in your browser? If not, you won't be able to log in.
  • Try disabling the session_check_ip option in config.inc.php. Some proxied connections to the Internet appear to connect from multiple IPs, which OJS rejects by default.
Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Still not working

Postby fgiannet » Mon May 08, 2006 4:47 pm

Hello Sir,

Thank you for the suggestions but I am still having the same problem. I imagine I will try a switch to an earlier version of PHP.

Thanks again,
Fred
fgiannet

Postby asmecher » Mon May 08, 2006 5:18 pm

Hi Fred,

OJS should be compatible with the newest releases of PHP; if you like, you can contact me at pkp-support@sfu.ca with more specific information and I can try to narrow down the problem.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

I can see the connection being made in the DB sessions table

Postby fgiannet » Wed May 10, 2006 12:40 pm

I can see the connections being made in the db sessions table but the screen does not advance.
fgiannet

Postby asmecher » Wed May 10, 2006 1:21 pm

Hi Fred,

This could also be a problem with the path your login cookie is using; check your browser's cookie list to see what the path on the OJSSID cookie is set to. Depending on its value, it might not be getting sent back to the server.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

login failure

Postby shier-jones » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:25 pm

I'm having exactly the same problem. I am trying to install ojs2.1 on a hosted site. I couldn't get the install program to work at all until I edited the request.inc file as per one of the earlier posts and changed every occurance of PATH_INFO with ORIG_PATH_INFO )I thought this problem was supposed to be fixed in this release?!)
I have now managed to install... ! but can't get past the login screen
This is driving me nuts.
Any help greatly appreciated.
shier-jones

Postby asmecher » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:20 pm

Hi shier-jones,

The ORIG_PATH_INFO vs. PATH_INFO isn't an OJS bug, it's more of a configuration issue -- web servers should be sending data using PATH_INFO, but in some situations they're slightly misconfigured and you need to use ORIG_PATH_INFO instead. We're not likely to add a work-around for this to OJS, but if you're using patch-based upgrades, you'll be able to use any future release of OJS without having to re-fix this issue.

To fix the second issue you describe, try disabling the session_ip_check option in your config.inc.php; if you're behind a proxy farm, it sometimes appears to OJS that you're attempting to connect to the same session from multiple IPs. By default, OJS treats this situation as a potential security problem and requests another login.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Repeated Login Screen

Postby shier-jones » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:42 pm

Nope.. doesn't seem to have made any difference.
There must be some way around this - but what ?
My hosting packing seems to be a pretty bulk standard setup mambo wordpress etc all run fine... what's missing?
shier-jones

Postby asmecher » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:36 am

Hi shier-jones,

Could you describe what happens when you try to log in? Do you receive a "login failed" message, or just another blank login form with no explanation?

If it's the latter, double-check that cookies are enabled for your browser. See if your browser is storing a cookie called OJSSID for your site, and whether or not the path is being set appropriately. If the path is incorrect, you may have to override your base URL in config.inc.php.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby shier-jones » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:47 am

My cookie path reads /ojs/
according to my host company the www directory is
/home/epworth/public_html/
I have created the directory ojs inside public_html and installed the software in there.

Is the cookie correct then?

If I need to override - how do I do this please?
Thanks
shier-jones

Blank Login

Postby shier-jones » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:59 am

It Works ! - I take all my thoughts back
All that needed to be done was to set the disable_path_info option in config.inc.php to on
Thanks for the time and effort - I really do appreciate it.
shier-jones

Postby asmecher » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:06 am

Hi shier-jones,

If you've moved OJS into a directory called "ojs", the cookie path should be correct. If you're able to log in, you should be fine. (OJS will generally choose the correct cookie path, but in some situations it's not correct; if you'd rather install OJS in your root directory, I can instruct you on a minor code change to achieve this.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

One user unable to login

Postby drjhf » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:35 am

We have one user (out of hundreds on multiple journals) unable to login, with a verified username-and-password, and even a new one created just for the purpose of testing, using a home machine with IE and Norton firewall. Firefox tested from that machine works perfectly, and university logins using Netescape and Firefox browsers are fine. We have tested both logins from other sites, IE and Firefox, without a problem.

Any thoughts? Is it necessary to try the 'disable_path_info option in config.inc.php' for just one user and does that raise security issues for us? Sounds like blocked cookies, but....
drjhf

Postby asmecher » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:55 pm

Hi Julian,

Have you tried disabling session_check_ip in config.inc.php as suggested above? The odd user has reported that they are unable to log in unless the session_check_ip option is disabled; this is because they're connected to the Internet via a proxy farm, which causes it to appear to OJS as though they're connecting from multiple IP addresses.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Next

Return to OJS Technical Support