OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

iPad and OJS

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

iPad and OJS

Postby nef » Wed May 04, 2011 12:55 am

Hi
I've just bought an iPad2. Unfortunately I can't read our OJS journals in the iPad browser. Obviously the browser can't show the pdf pages embedded in a html page. Have you any suggestions how to solve that problem?
Cheers
Niels E.
nef

Re: iPad and OJS

Postby jmacgreg » Thu May 05, 2011 3:00 pm

Hi Niels,

I don't have an iPad to test with, but we do have a researcher associated with PKP who will be looking into how well we support (or don't, as the case may be) tablets and phones. We're also happy to have community input as well, of course. I'll pass this thread on to the researcher. One quick question though, for my own edification more than anything else: what happens if you click the "download" link?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jmacgreg » Thu May 05, 2011 3:10 pm

Hi Niels,

Strange -- I just tested with my iPhone, and it appears to display the embedded PDF. I can also use the "Fullscreen" option to good effect. This would be in the Safari browser -- are you using the same one? And could you provide me with a link to test? I'm going by the assumption that iPad and iPhone should perform somewhat similarly, at least, but I may be wrong.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby nef » Fri May 06, 2011 7:26 am

Hi James
Yes, I'm using Safari and unfortunately I still have the problem.
I've just had a talk over the phone with Apple Support (for an hour), and they concluded that our OJS journals can't be read in iPad. The supporter tried in iPhone too with the same result.
I have tested the new 2.3.4 but also with the same result.
Cheers
Niels E

P.S. How does it look in your iPhone? http://ojs.statsbiblioteket.dk/index.ph ... /2591/3394
nef

Postby jmacgreg » Fri May 06, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi Niels,

Hrm, the PDF from your site loads on my iPhone, but only partially -- definitely not what I would call functional. However, we will probably focus on improving the 2.3.x PDF view function (which has been changed drastically from what you see in your 2.2.4 version of OJS). PDFs from 2.3.x versions of OJS seem to load fine for me in my phone, and I'll definitely ask other PKPers with iPads to confirm one way or the other.

If you aren't able to upgrade to 2.3.x in the near future, you may want to investigate some sort of browser-detection function that displays PDFs differently for mobile devices. If/when we look into this for 2.3.x, I'll definitely try and keep you posted, and can possibly help with backporting.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jmacgreg » Tue May 10, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi Niels,

I just heard back from a team member with an iPad, and they definitely had problems reading the PDF -- basically, only 1.5 pages loaded in Safari. If you upgrade to 2.3.x, your users will find a "Download this PDF" option, which will at the very least open the full PDF independently in the iPad -- so that may be a worthwhile option for the time being. We'll continue to improve this functionality over time.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jmacgreg » Tue May 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi Niels,

One further quick note -- I've added a feature request to track this issue here. Please feel free to CC yourself to that report for future updates.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby errebe » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:51 am

Hi to all...

I've been facing this issue both as an editor (http://revistas.csic.es) and as a reader with iPhone4 and iPad2.

Just by chance a while ago I found that at AJOL (African Journals Online) behavior is quite different.

For instance, when I go to the PDF link here (using Safari/iPad2):

http://www.ajol.info/index.php/ajrh/issue/view/8254

PDF opens in a new page in full and becomes downloadable to iBooks for instance.

Maybe opening the PDF within a frame is the problem...?

Hope this can help. Cheers,

Ramon
errebe

Postby andreaszalay » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:58 pm

Our readers can see the top of the article's first page in the viewer, but are unable to scroll. They are using Safari. Any fixes yet?
andreaszalay

Postby errebe » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:29 am

The clue is to click on the 'close' link at the bottom of the left panel. When you close the frame the PDF will download completely and then can be transferred to another App like iBook.

In our Journal we added the instruction, since we received many questions about this from our users. Have a look (with your iPad/Safai) at:

http://cultureandhistory.revistas.csic. ... /view/2/13

Cheers to all...

Ramon
errebe

Postby errebe » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:33 am

Maybe this is a better example, since the link I posted before goes to a single page PDF:

http://cultureandhistory.revistas.csic. ... /view/3/18

Saludos,

Ramon
errebe

Return to OJS Technical Support