OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Notify users: Fatal Error max_execution_time exceeded

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Notify users: Fatal Error max_execution_time exceeded

Postby sebsch » Wed May 04, 2011 1:49 am

Dear all,

we run an OJS installation with 5 journals.
Usually all is fine, but one of them (only one)
gives me this error when trying to notify users:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in [...]/online-journals.org/httpdocs/classes/core/DataObject.inc.php on line 78

Searching Google I learned that this was a server problem
and that I had to increase the said execution time.
Which I have done, but nothing changes.

Do you have an idea?

Thanks, and have a nice day!
sebsch
sebsch

Re: Notify users: Fatal Error max_execution_time exceeded

Postby asmecher » Wed May 04, 2011 9:09 am

Hi sebsch,

Did you restart your web server after changing your configuration? That's necessary on many servers.

What are you doing when you encounter this error?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby sebsch » Thu May 12, 2011 5:21 am

Did you restart your web server after changing your configuration? That's necessary on many servers.

Hi Alec,

I hadn't done this, indeed. But I have done it now and have retried. There is another error now:
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in [...]/online-journals.org/httpdocs/classes/mail/Mail.inc.php on line 63

asmecher wrote:What are you doing when you encounter this error?

I try to use the "notify users" feature (both: notify all users, or only them who indicate that they want to receive information). I do not include the TOC of the current issue, but I insert my own text into the text field and click "Send".
After my google search I have added ini_set("max_execution_time", "240"); to the config.inc.php as follows:

Code: Select all
[...]
ini_set("max_execution_time", "240");
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; General Settings ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

[general]
[...]

I really don't know where to look for the error. Do you have any idea?

Thank you!
Sebastian.
sebsch

Postby sebsch » Wed May 18, 2011 7:41 am

Hi there!

After my previous post I haven't changed anything, just retried to notify the users because we have published a new issue. Same error in the same file, but another line.

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in [...]/online-journals.org/httpdocs/classes/mail/Mail.inc.php on line 58

Does anyone have any idea? Your help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!
Sebastian.
sebsch

Postby sebsch » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:41 pm

Hi there,

unfortunately, after a server migration earlier this year, the problem persists. With two differences:

• There is no more error message at all – just a blank page who appears after a while
  • I have an idea: I have remarked that it works in other journals (same server, same OJS 2.2.4.0) with fewer users: it works for a journal with 4000 users, another one with 8000, but not with one with 14000 or 21000 users.
Are there any known limitations in OJS 2.2.4.0? Could it be related to my other problem: http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9423?

Best regards, and thanks in advance!
Sebastian
sebsch

Postby CarlosLlongo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:30 am

Hi,

I'm having the same problem. I'm using version 2.3.7. When we notified the previous issues we had no problems, but this time we got this error:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /usr/home/archivosdelafilmoteca.com/web/lib/pkp/classes/core/String.inc.php on line 532
DB Error: MySQL server has gone away

Some of the users have received the notification, but we have no way of knowing which users got left out.

Previously we only had around 500 users, but for this issue we have 1000+ users. Could it be a problem with too many users? Is there a way to know which users got the notification?

Cheers,

Carlos Llongo.
CarlosLlongo

Postby asmecher » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:16 am

Hi Carlos,

The timeout is a PHP configuration option, so you'll need to configure your PHP to allow longer requests. If you have access to your server's mail logs, you can use those to check who received the messages; OJS doesn't keep track of that itself.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support