OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Archives to be uploaded - payment possible!

Users wishing to hire or seeking employment may post their information here. Additionally, we also encourage the posting of volunteer opportunities to this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
Employment

Are you looking for someone to help install, maintain or customize one of our software packages for you? Please feel free to post employment and volunteer opportunities related to PKP software here. We will remove any non-related posts unless they are of particular interest.

Volunteering

If you are looking to volunteer, or are looking for a volunteer for your project, please post here. We will also occasionally post volunteer requests as well.

Archives to be uploaded - payment possible!

Postby nichthus » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:29 pm

HI everyone,

I am co-editor of the Journal of Open, Flexible and Distance Learning
(JOFDL), about to launch its 15th volume through a hosted version of OJS at
http://journals.akoaotearoa.ac.nz/index.php/JOFDL. We have PDF versions of
previous volumes available from
http://www.deanz.org.nz/home/index.php/ ... -full-text and
would dearly love to make these available through the new OJS site however we
lack the expertise to compile the XML file.

Any advice would be appreciated - and I can explore funding the development
of the XML file. Please email me directly at nichthus at gmail.com.

With thanks,

Mark Nichols.
nichthus

Re: Archives to be uploaded - payment possible!

Postby ramon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:33 am

Hello Mark,

If your previous data is stored in a database that can be accessed through a programming language and SQL statements, then I would definitely recommend going the XML-import way.
Otherwise, it is easier and less error-prone to insert the data manually, although it may seem like a manually intensive labor.
Writing the XML by hand is more time-consuming, requires more skill and attention to detail, than going through the quick-submit process, which is faster.
It would require basic copy-paste activities and attention to metadata detail (such as author information, and other indexing info - for authors without e-mail, use <![CDATA[]]> as the value for the field ).
With the newly added feature to change the date of publication manually, it is just a matter of getting the data inside OJS.
How long it takes will depend on how much historical data you'd like to add for the launch date.
Historical data can be added at any time.
Our experience shows that a single person can add a 16-article issue within a week, without pressure.
You'll need to create all the available sections first, though.
All other data is added during submission.
What will be a boring task is to download all files for a new "upload" process, or have the URLs handy during submission [usually the browser will allow you to inform the URL as the file location, download it to a temporary file and resubmit it], as the submission file's name is changed to fit OJS's naming conventions.
ramon

Re: Archives to be uploaded - payment possible!

Postby newone » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:23 pm

I can help you bring the back issues into the OJS website through manual process. I have done this several times in the past.

I have not used the XML process, I found the manual process the most straightforward way to add back issues in OJS.

I have sent you an email as per your request.
newone

Return to Consulting, Employment, and Volunteer Opportunities