OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Plugins not working in 2.3.3-3

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Plugins not working in 2.3.3-3

Postby snowy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:03 am

Having trouble getting the plugins to work. I installed the full package from scratch from the 2.3.3-3 tar file. So no upgrades involved.
Trying then to get the sidebars to work with no luck. And TinyMCE is not working even though I enabled it, and checked with the plugins db table -- and I can see it is enabled there.

The only page the sidebar does appear on, is the 'Plugin Management' page : /index.php/.../manager/plugins

It appears on no other pages, and if for instance I enable round corners, the sidebar on the 'Plugin Management' page then has rounded items. So something is sort of working.

Then as a desperate measure I reinstalled the whole package -- starting with downloading the tar file again and deleted the database and started again from scratch. Still the same problem - no side bars except for that one page! And no TinyMCE.

Thanks for any suggestions.
snowy

Re: Plugins not working in 2.3.3-3

Postby hekutoru2kx » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:25 am

Hi snowy,

1. ¿Did you apply the recommended patches to the installation?
2. ¿are you working with a new database?

You should try applying the patches first :P. If you already had then the problem should be other :(
hekutoru2kx

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:23 pm

Hi snowy,

To add to hekutoru2kx's excellent suggestions, you may also want to investigate how your permissions are set. See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7001&p=27296#p27296 for more information.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby snowy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:04 pm

Thank you hekutoru2kx and James.
I was working with a new database and did add the one patch -- Bug #6279: Some generic plugins don't work after install/upgrade -- unless there are others.

But I think my mistake was forgetting to do the upgrade after the patching.
So the plugins work though I am having further problems which I will leave to another thread if I can't solve them myself.

Thank you again!
snowy

Postby brianh » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:48 pm

Hello,

I'm having an identical problem to that described above, though in 2.3.4.0. I've created a new block plugin, following the instructions at http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/Writing_a_Block_Plugin exactly. As above however, the block is only visible in the Setup stage 5 and System Plugins pages.

I'm assuming that the patches mentioned above for 2.3.3-3 would have been included in 2.3.4 - is this correct? If notI will do the bug #6279 patch - otherwise any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!
brianh

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:32 pm

Hi brianh,

How have you installed the plugin? The problem sounds like your versions table hasn't been updated with the information necessary for that plugin (something that has become mandatory recently but hasn't been reflected in the documentation). You may have to update your application's versions table with that plugin's information. Another option is to upload the plugin directly via the Journal Management -> System Plugins -> Install Plugin interface; just make sure that you upload it as a tar file, your plugin has a "version.xml" included in the tar file. You should be able to get an idea on what you need to add by looking at your db's 'versions' table, and/or by looking at a default plugin's version.xml file.

If you need more information, just let us know.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby brianh » Sat May 21, 2011 4:53 am

Hi James,

I had tried using the Install Plugin interface, but I get the following error with it: "The uploaded plugin archive does not contain a folder that corresponds to the plugin name." This is despite the folder being correctly named, and identical in structure to other standard plugins. I've checked that the plugin name is consistent in all of the files in that folder, so I must be missing something simple somewhere. Here's a link to the plugin I'm trying to upload: http://www.brianhole.com/download/UPMetrics.tar.gz - any insight into why it's not working would be greatly appreciated!

I had simply been copying the plugin directory up to the server. Ideally I'd like to use the importer though, rather than doing this and having to modify the DB each time, especially as I want to do this on multiple installations.

Many thanks,
Brian
brianh

Postby jmacgreg » Tue May 24, 2011 9:27 am

Hi Brian,

Strange -- I've actually been running into the same issue myself, but with an online OCS install and another plugin (that should work). I'm guessing it's a configuration issue that is possibly being mis-identified; I'll be passing the question on to a developer. I managed to install your plugin just fine on my local install, though, which is strange.

(One other quick comment: I noticed that you gave your plugin the class name "UPMetricsPlugin" -- you might want to call it "UPMetricsBlockPlugin" to keep with convention, although I don't think this really makes much difference either way.)

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jmacgreg » Tue May 24, 2011 9:31 am

Hi Brian,

Actually, I also noticed that the block plugin wasn't showing up on the sidebar anywhere outside of the journal's Setup Step 5 page. I changed the class name to "UPMetricsBlockPlugin" in the db (the product_class_name field in the versions table), and the block started appearing everywhere, as it should. So apparently, getting the extra "Block" in there is important after all. :D

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby brianh » Tue May 24, 2011 1:29 pm

HI James,

Thanks for all your efforts - it seems we're getting closer! I have changed the class name in the versions file to "UPMetricsBlockPlugin" (reuploaded at http://www.brianhole.com/download/UPMetrics.tar.gz), but I still get the same error when I try to install the plugin: "Errors occurred processing this form: The uploaded plugin archive does not contain a folder that corresponds to the plugin name." The error message doesn't give me much to go on as it doesn't really make sense. The install doesn't get far enough that it creates any database tables to fix the problem that way.

Any further ideas or feedback from the developers?

Best,
Brian
brianh

Postby asmecher » Fri May 27, 2011 10:48 am

Hi Brian,

It might be a file permissions issue; the web server will need to be able to extract the archive into the plugins/block directory. Check your log for errors and double-check the permissions on that directory. For further debugging, have a look at the source of that error message -- it's in pages/manager/PluginManagementHandler.inc.php; search for "manager.plugins.invalidPluginArchive" (the locale key matching the error you encountered).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby brianh » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:39 pm

Hi Alec,

Many thanks - it was indeed a permissions problem. I'd thought that 755 would be sufficient for the plugins folders, but obviously not!

Best,
Brian
brianh

Postby Hely » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:43 pm

So did i encounter this problem.

However, i have not solved it by now.
Hely

Postby asmecher » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi Hely,

Please be more specific; there are several things discussed in this thread. What version of OJS are you using? What problem are you encountering? What plugin are you attempting to install? What have you tried to resolve it?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support