OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Registration and Payment

Are you a Director, Presenter, Reviewer or Conference Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OCS from an everyday user's perspective: conference managers, presenters, and directors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OCS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OCS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OCS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OCS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OCS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Registration and Payment

Postby jamief » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:52 am

I'm setting up a conference that has multiple payment methods. Everything seems to go fine, until we get to how to display the "Registration" menu.

If I set the OCS to manual, there is no possible way to allow users to enrol "Register" in the system. If I turn on the Paypal, then yes, registration is activated.

But what if I want to allow users to pay through a bank system and then come into the OCS to "register" (that they have made a payment, for example I could ask them for the date of transaction). Is the registration menu completely and utterly tied to a paypal process? Can we not take registrations outside of paypal?

Thanks, in advance.

Jamie
jamief

Re: Registration and Payment

Postby jmacgreg » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:22 am

Hi Jamie,

The payments options are actually implemented as plugins -- you'll see them in plugins/paymethods. (Even the manual option.) A number of folks have created (or have discussed creating) additional plugins, mostly, similar to the paypal plugin, and which are available on the forum. You should be able to either a) extend the current manual payment plugin to allow registration, say upon providing a key (a date, etc.); or b) use the paypal plugin as a starting point to create a plugin specific to your banking method, if such a thing is possible.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby dlaitsch » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:30 pm

This would actually be a very useful feature to include. We are hosting a conference with no fees, but we want to know how many people are coming. Currently, they can't register because we have no fees and therefor no payment method. I'll look for a no payment plug in, but please think about addressing this in the next release.
dlaitsch

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:19 pm

Hi dlaitsch,

Which version of OCS are you using? I believe more recent versions actually handle registrations set to "0" dollars fairly gracefully -- ie., you should be able to create new registration types and options with a set fee of 0 dollars, and users will then be able to register without jumping through any crazy hoops. There are a few potential problems with this if you are hosting an entirely free conference -- for example, there are a few references to fees that registrants will see during the registration process that won't make sense out of context -- but I can give you a few tips on how to hide or mask those if you are willing and able to modify any of the OCS templates.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OCS Conference Support and Discussion