OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

links to supp files in PDF articles

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

links to supp files in PDF articles

Postby elhay » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:29 am

Hi

I want to put a URL link into the PDF of an article which gives the reader access to an mp3 that has been uploaded as a supplementary file. Can anybody post the format of the link please? I imagine there is a php request format that will do the job but I have not been able to locate the form of the link from the manual. The solution suggested to me involved giving read access to the supp files but I don't know how to do that without giving access to everything else as well.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thanks
elhay

Re: links to supp files in PDF articles

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:42 pm

Hi elhay,

Please see this thread for a description on how to link to supplementary files.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby wissam » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:28 am

Hello,

I need to know how to link (Hard-Code?) Supplementary files in a PDF galley?

I was following the discussions in this forum on the topic but they all are considering HTML galleys where ojs:// links should work.

How should links in a PDF Article still work even when the reader download it?

Thanks a lot
wissam

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:09 pm

HI wissam,

The problem is that you may not know exactly what the URL to a specific file will be before you publish it. One workaround is to use unique identifiers for all components under Journal Setup Step 4.3, and use an increment-able naming mechanism to name these components; then you can string the components together to form a URL. For example, if your journal is at http://example.com/index.php/journalName; the public issue identifier (set under the Issue Data page for that issue) is set to "1v1"; the article public ID (set under the Table of Contents page for that issue) is set to "article1"; and the supplemental file public identifier (set by the Editor when adding/editing a supplementary file) is set to suppFile1, then you can add the bits together like so:

http://example.com/index.php/journalName/ + [article public ID] + /downloadSuppFile/ + [supplementary file public ID]

... which would look like:

http://example.com/index.php/journalNam ... /suppFile1

So long as you name each article and supplementary file using some sort of understood mechanism, you should be able to build the links for inclusion before you publish them.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion