OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

"Paste from Word" button in Setup

OCS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page. While these are OJS-specific, the OCS codebase is similar enough to OJS they should be of help. There is also an [url=http://pkp.sfu.ca/ocs_documentation[/url]OCS Documentation[/url] page with some more general documentation that might also be of interest.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OCS Technical Support subforum.

"Paste from Word" button in Setup

Postby vgabler » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:21 am

Hi,

For the Setup in OJS, the "Paste from Word" button is already available for inserting text into free-form fields. However, in OCS, this button needs to be "turned on" by a programmer. The same goes for the "Paste as plain text" button. Can a future release automatically include these buttons?

Thanks,

Vanessa Gabler
vgabler

Re: "Paste from Word" button in Setup

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:16 am

Hi Vanessa,

Which versions of OJS/OCS are you using? I think we've actually *removed* the paste from Word button from all releases now, but for the life of me I can't remember the rationale. Could you also provide your preference of that over the regular copy/paste?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby michael » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:00 am

Hi Vanessa,

The most current releases of OJS and OCS do in fact have the cut, copy, paste buttons enabled by default.

The paste-from-word button has been removed since the regular paste will now strip Word formatting by default.

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Postby vgabler » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi,

This is another instance related to the previous thread. We just had to add the Paste From Word button back into a journal running version ojs2 2.3.3.2. because it did not properly strip the Word formatting and it also would not allow me to properly edit the text. This is the patch our programmer used:

--- TinyMCEPlugin.inc.php.orig Mon Feb 14 16:17:38 2011
+++ TinyMCEPlugin.inc.php Mon Feb 14 16:18:13 2011
@@ -366,7 +366,7 @@
paste_auto_cleanup_on_paste : true,
apply_source_formatting : false,
theme : "advanced",
- theme_advanced_buttons1 : "cut,copy,paste,|,bold,italic,underline,bullist,numlist,|,link,unlink,help,code,fullscreen,ibrowser",
+ theme_advanced_buttons1 : "cut,copy,paste,pastetext,pasteword,|,bold,italic,underline,bullist,numlist,|,link,unlink,help,code,fullscreen,ibrowser",
theme_advanced_buttons2 : "",
theme_advanced_buttons3 : ""
});
Can the button be re-added to a future version? I think removing it was a mistake.

All best,,
Vanessa Gabler
vgabler

Postby vgabler » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:34 pm

Nevermind. Even though I used the Paste from Word button, I'm still having issues.

I’m having an issue with JFFP, running ojs2 2.3.3.2. When entering the copyright agreement in the Setup section 3.2, it automatically formats the document, which in the main document is broken into section using 1., 2., and a., b., etc for sections and subsections. It’s giving me a really hard time when I try to then hand edit it. It just isn't dealing well with any level below a first level in an itemized list.

Any idea how to fix this?

All best,

Vanessa
vgabler

Postby michael » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Hi Vanessa,

Since regular paste (i.e. CTRL-V) will now strip Word tags by default, using or not using the paste-from-Word button should not make a difference -- the same tag stripping should be performed, regardless of whether the button or CTRL-V is used.

The button may be useful, however, if you were to disable automatic tag stripping but wish to still provide users with the option to strip Word tags manually some of the time.

It may be worthwhile to search the TinyMCE user forum or issue tracker to check if your particular example is a known bug with TinyMCE.

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Postby vgabler » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:24 am

Hi,

I searched the forum before posting and again now; however, because adding paste from word did not help, I now believe this is a problem of how OJS deals with subheadings in its free-form text fields in the Setup section. As in, it only deals with level one headings. The ordered list tab available for editing the free-form texts field seems to not be able to recognize subheadings correctly.

I think that I might be able to enter the information correctly if I type it by hand (not sure about this, though); however, I now manage nearly 20 journals, and that number is growing. It would be extremely time consuming for me to hand type our lengthy copyright agreement for each journal, rather than pasting it in. Is there any way to fix how OJS deals with subheadings in section 3.2 of the Setup, and in the Setup in general (if this problem does extend to the entire system).

I made jpeg images of example portions of the correctly formatted Word document and what OJS turns it into, I see that in order to add an image I need to publish it on the internet first, I believe. I can do that if it's necessary to fully explain the problem, but in case it wasn't needed I thought I'd save myself the trouble (it would take me some time to accomplish).

I hope this functionality can be fixed.

All best,

Vanessa
vgabler

Postby michael » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:14 am

Hi Vanessa,

TinyMCE can be configured to include richer formatting options than the default set that's included, including headings and sub-headings as you describe. There's a working demo, with all options enabled, available here.

Would something like the 'Format' dropdown in the demo help with this? The other options that may help are the numbered list with additional choices for alpha, greek, and roman enumeration along with left and right indentation to control sub-lists.

You can find full documentation for the configuration options here.

Cheers,
Michael
Last edited by michael on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
michael

Postby michael » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:30 am

vgabler wrote: I made jpeg images of example portions of the correctly formatted Word document and what OJS turns it into, I see that in order to add an image I need to publish it on the internet first, I believe. I can do that if it's necessary to fully explain the problem, but in case it wasn't needed I thought I'd save myself the trouble (it would take me some time to accomplish).

P.S. You should be able to upload these directly as part of your post (via the 'Upload attachment' tab) without needing to publish them elsewhere first.
michael

Return to OCS Development