OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Problems with Paypal Plugin

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Problems with Paypal Plugin

Postby georgeKapsomenos » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:04 am

I have set up a Paypal account to receive payments for registration for the conference, and I went on to test with the sandbox account...two very significant issues have come up:

1) The Paypal Plugin does not properly pass the characters making up the type of registration to the the Paypal website, that is, a series of a weird characters is displayed on the Paypal Website, which makes a really bad impression and does not inspire confidence and reliability

paypal-weird characters.jpg
paypal-weird characters.jpg (19.53 KiB) Viewed 2200 times

2) It REQUIRES the registrant to set up a paypal account, otherwise it won't process the payment.

I don't know if these are glitches of the Sandbox Paypal, but in the Joomla website we have, where we have embedded the buttons of Paypal, the greek characters that describe the payment are displayed properly and it does not require one to set up a paypal account.

I'm guessing the plugin is at fault here...anyway out of this?
georgeKapsomenos

Re: Problems with Paypal Plugin

Postby michael » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:04 am

Hi George,

1) The Paypal Plugin does not properly pass the characters making up the type of registration to the the Paypal website, that is, a series of a weird characters is displayed on the Paypal Website, which makes a really bad impression and does not inspire confidence and reliability

This is a bug that I've filed here. Please feel free to CC yourself on the bug report -- a fix will be released shortly.

2) It REQUIRES the registrant to set up a paypal account, otherwise it won't process the payment.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce this problem. For your PayPal seller account, have you enabled IPN in your account settings?

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Postby georgeKapsomenos » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:14 am

Thank you very much Michael...I would really appreciate if this is fixed sometime soon.

Regarding the "obligatory" paypal registration, I suppose it might have to do with Paypal locating a paypal cookie in the browser, so requesting the visitor to sign in...at least this is what I noticed just today while doing some relevant work in our Association's main website.

I will test again with OCS and report back
georgeKapsomenos

Postby michael » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Hi George,

Can you please confirm whether the OCS patch for the above bug report solves the character encoding issue for you?

Thanks,
Michael
michael

Postby georgeKapsomenos » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:40 pm

michael wrote:Hi George,

Can you please confirm whether the OCS patch for the above bug report solves the character encoding issue for you?

Thanks,
Michael

Paypal issue fixed, thank you very much for your effective and speedy response.

The Paypal obligatory registration also seems to have been due to the cookie set by Paypal...as soon as I deleted paypal browser cookies, it would not longer require me to sign in/create account
georgeKapsomenos

Return to OCS Technical Support