OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Small help needed for customization of the steel theme

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Small help needed for customization of the steel theme

Postby georgeKapsomenos » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:06 pm

I really love the font and the colour of the "steel" theme, provided with the OCS install...

...I do however want to make a small customization in order to enhance the display of the website. This customization is not itself a foremost goal, it's rather something that needs to be done in order to gracefully apply the customization I am mostly interested in: I firstly want to apply a "justify" text-align rule for the main body.

Right now this is not "possible" because there does not seem to be a right padding, a small space to the right of the text, so if I apply the rule, the main text touches the right vertical line...

I could deal with this in two ways:
1) remove the side vertical lines and the horizontal line at the bottom, which function as a "frame" for the main text
2) apply I small padding to the right edge of the main body, so that letters do not touch against the right vertical line.

I don't know how to do it though and which files I should edit.

I am interested in applying this for the the regular text in the various pages and for the papers etc submitted, but if I could I would not use it in the forms, because the text on the left of the text fields will look weird if it needs to occupy more than one line, becoming over-stretched in the first, where comes close to the text fields leaving a lot of space from the previous word...(did that make sense?)

Hope someone can help, thanks in advance
georgeKapsomenos

Re: Small help needed for customization of the steel theme

Postby georgeKapsomenos » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:00 pm

I have figured this out with the help of firebug...

In this group of settings in "steel.css"
Code: Select all
   padding-left: 5px;
   background-color: #f9f9f9;
   border-left: 1px solid black;
   border-right: 1px solid black;
   border-bottom: 1px solid black;   

I added a value for right padding and turned the border width to 0px, so it became
Code: Select all
   padding-left: 5px;
   padding-right: 5px;
   background-color: #f9f9f9;
   border-left: 0px solid black;
   border-right: 0px solid black;
   border-bottom: 0px solid black;   

Regarding the justify text-align rule, I can apply it, but it does not look good overall...for the text areas which are entered through TinyMCE, it would be very nice if a more complete version of TinyMCE was incorporated to allow for easy and selected application of "justify" rule
georgeKapsomenos

Return to OCS Technical Support