OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Issues with OCS 2.3.3.1

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Issues with OCS 2.3.3.1

Postby georgeKapsomenos » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:32 am

As I am working with OCS I have come up against some issues which is not hard to break up into different topics, I will address them here if you don't mind

1) I cannot upload .png or .ico images in the "Headers, Footers etc" - Step 3 of the Conference Management
For some reason, I can only upload images in .gif format, all others fail.

2) In "Home > User > Conference Manager > System Plugins > Custom Block Manager", the introductory text says
You can use this plugin to add or delete custom block plugins. You can then edit the content through the System Plugins page (in the Blocks Plugin section). To place your plugin in the desired location in the sidebar, go to Setup step 4

That Step 4, is a link whose URL is:
"http://www.example.com/ocs/index.php/set_path/index/manager/plugin/generic/CustomBlockManagerPlugin/{$setupStep4}"
When I click on that link, I am led to the Generic Plugins page "Home > User > Conference Site Management > Plugin Management > Generic Plugins"
Is that correct?

3) When I want to enroll a user through the "Registrations" page in "Current Conferences", in the form that is at following path,
"Home > Conference Title > User > Conference Site Management > Registrations > Create"
if I click on "Cancel", I am lead to a 404 page which has the following URL:
"http://www.example.com/ocs/index.php/set_path1/set_path2/manager/registrations"

4) When in the Website Management>Step 1. About the Conference, if I enter anything inside the textarea for "Affiliation" for the Principal Contact for Conference Website, then in the About the Conference > Conference Contact page, the word "Array" shows up underneath the contact's title...
...if I clear the "Affiliation" field in Step1 of the Website Management, About the Conference, then that word disappears

5) I first created a custom block where I added the code for Paypal Donation button. It displayed OK, but I ran into this trouble
- I could not move the plugin under the second place in the Step 4 "Style" of Website Management...no matter where I moved the custom block plugin, after saving, it would always return to its previous position...accordingly, it displayed at that position in the sidebar, not moving down.
- I was only able to move it up a spot, being first in the right column...

After that I tried to create another Custom Block Plugin, which I did successfully...but as soon as I pressed "save" in Custom Block Manager, the previous custom block plugin I had created, despite being still available in the Custom Block Manager, it would disappear from the sidebar AND from the Block Plugins list AND from the list of Block Plugins in Setup Step 4 "Style" in Website management.
As soon as I removed the second Custom Block Plugin from the relevant Manager page, the first one would show up immediately in the places from where it had previously disappeared...

6) when I am at my scheduled conference page and I click on the "ABOUT" link on the navigation bar and then click "Site Map", in that page, if I click on the "Reader" link, I am lead to a 404 page....that link's URL is
-http://www.example.com/ocs/index.php/conference_path/scheduled_conference_path/reader-
Also, there is no "Reader" link in User Home, I don't know if there should be...

I also had a problem with the "Conference Manager" link, but after applying patch 3425, (which also presumes the patch 3179has been already applied) it got fixed...
However, it may be weird (or not) that the URL for that link includes the path to the scheduled conference, instead of pointing directly to the conference URL...
To be more precise, while the link to the Conference Manager, when one is in his/her User Home page is
-http://www.example.com/ocs/index.php/conference_path/index/manager-
the link to the conference manager that is available in the above mentioned page is
-http://www.example.com/ocs/index.php/conference_path/scheduled_conference_path/manager-
It works, though, it gets redirected, so, as I said, it's not much of a problem

The other thing, which seems to be a mistake, but of no consequence, is that from this "Site Map" page, the link at "Open Conference Systems" actually leads to this adress http://pkp.sfu.ca/?q=ojs which is of Open Journal Systems

Please allow me to update this list if other issues come up.

Thank you in advance
Last edited by georgeKapsomenos on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
georgeKapsomenos

Re: Issues with OCS 2.3.3.1

Postby georgeKapsomenos » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:56 am

I have updated the issue list with a 4th problem
georgeKapsomenos

Postby jmacgreg » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:45 pm

Hi George,

I can't replicate problem 1. You may want to check into how your server is identifying filetypes; for more information see http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/PKP_Fr ... d_properly. Are you having problems uploading elsewhere?

Regarding problem 2: that's a bug! You should be directed to Conference Site Management -> Website Management -> Setup Step 4. I have submitted this as a bug report: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6387. I will try and fix this in the near future, but until then you can just navigate your way to the correct place. Please feel free to CC yourself for future updates.

Regarding problem 3: that is also a bug! See http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6388 for a fix.

Regarding problem 4: I have replicated this bug as well. It may be related to http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6101, although the fix listed by radomir doesn't seem to work for me. I have posted a follow-up question on that bug report; please CC yourself to that report for future updates as well.

Thanks again for posting these comments! And please get back to me about problem 1.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jmacgreg » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:51 pm

Hi George,

Actually, regarding problem 4 -- I just submitted a new bug, as I don't think it has as much to do as I originally thought with Bug 6101. See http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6389.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby georgeKapsomenos » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:29 am

Thank you very much for helping me out...I have sort of bombarded you with questions (and I ain't done yet :mrgreen: ) but I am a rookie at web building/maintaining and have limited scope over such things...

Since I've been dealing with patches/updates these past few days, I've run into a couple of things which have produced questions I want to clarify, please allow me to do so here.
You were very helpful in giving me the link to these recommended patches for OCS 2.3.3.1
In the process of applying them I noticed that:

a) In the patch 3353 the reported line that should be edited is 158.7. In my case this line of code was at 130.
Is this a type error or other things have been added during the development process which have caused this difference?

Also for that bug report (Paper commenting "add" form broken) there are three patches available there...following the comment
OCS 2.3.3-1 users will need to apply both the PKP and OCS 2.3.3-1 parts of the
patch.
I have only applied the first and the third of the available patches...do I need to apply the second also?

b) For the bug report 5786 "##submissions.reviewRound## appears untranslated", the available patch is to replace ".reviewRound" with ".reviewStage"
Code: Select all
-               <td width="20%" style="padding: 0 4px 0 0; font-size: 1.0em">{translate key="submissions.reviewRound"}</td>
+               <td width="20%" style="padding: 0 4px 0 0; font-size: 1.0em">{translate key="submissions.reviewStage"}</td>

But in my original file, the ".reviewStage" was already there...
...does this mean the fix was incorporated in the official file download or is it a mistake and ".reviewRound" must instead be added to that line of code?

Apart from these questions, I have come across a weird behavior with the Custom Block Plugins...
5) I first created a custom block where I added the code for Paypal Donation button. It displayed OK, but I ran into this trouble
- I could not move the plugin under the second place in the Step 4 "Style" of Website Management...no matter where I moved the custom block plugin, after saving, it would always return to its previous position...accordingly, it displayed at that position in the sidebar, not moving down.

After that I tried to create another Custom Block Plugin, which I did successfully...but as soon as I pressed "save" in Custom Block Manager, the previous custom block plugin I had created, despite being still available in the Custom Block Manager, it would disappear from the sidebar AND from the Block Plugins list AND from the list of Block Plugins in Setup Step 4 "Style" in Website management.
As soon as I removed the second Custom Block Plugin from the relevant Manager page, the first one would show up immediately in the places from where it had previously disappeared...

I've also been having an issue with the Paypal Plugin...it does not properly pass on the greek characters inserted for the Registration Types AND it requires one to setup a paypal account...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7139
georgeKapsomenos

Postby georgeKapsomenos » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:45 pm

I have a couple more...actually, one of them is not really an issue...

6) when I am at my scheduled conference page and I click on the "ABOUT" link on the navigation bar and then click "Site Map", in that page, if I click on the "Reader" link, I am lead to a 404 page....that link's URL is
-http://www.example.com/ocs/index.php/conference_path/scheduled_conference_path/reader-
Also, there is no "Reader" link in User Home, I don't know if there should be...

I also had a problem with the "Conference Manager" link, but after applying patch 3425, (which also presumes the patch 3179has been already applied) it got fixed...
However, it may be weird (or not) that the URL for that link includes the path to the scheduled conference, instead of pointing directly to the conference URL...
To be more precise, while the link to the Conference Manager, when one is in his/her User Home page is
-http://www.example.com/ocs/index.php/conference_path/index/manager-
the link to the conference manager that is available in the above mentioned page is
-http://www.example.com/ocs/index.php/conference_path/scheduled_conference_path/manager-
It works, though, it gets redirected, so, as I said, it's not much of a problem

The other thing, which seems to be a mistake, but of no consequence, is that from this "Site Map" page, the link at "Open Conference Systems" actually leads to this adress http://pkp.sfu.ca/?q=ojs which is of Open Journal Systems
georgeKapsomenos

Postby georgeKapsomenos » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:37 am

I think I may have located an error

7) In step 3 of the submission process -- I have chosen the option of uploading the abstract then, after approval of the paper - where the author is supposed to upload any supplementary files - it seems that the principal heading, "3. Upload Supplementary Files", bears the same title as the secondary heading...

To be more precise, whereas in the previous steps these two headings are different (see image)...
submission-step2.jpg
submission-step2.jpg (8.17 KiB) Viewed 5360 times

...in step 3 the two headings have the same title AND the "Step. x" part is missing from the top/principal heading...
submission-step3.jpg
submission-step3.jpg (7.65 KiB) Viewed 5360 times

I checked it out in the locale files and it seems that while in all other steps (except the first which is always first) the titles of the two headings are read from different message keys, in that particular one of step 3, they are read from the same message string, whereas an other message key exists, whose content also bears the "Step. x"...that seems not to be utilized...

E.g. for step 2, the principal heading is read from message keys "author.submit.step3" or "author.submit.step3AbstOnly" and the secondary heading is read from message-keys "author.submit.metadata" or "author.submit.metadataOnly",
while for step 3 both are read from "author.submit.supplementaryFilesAbstractOnly".

The logic seems to be that depending on whether or not both a submission file AND an abstract are uploaded, the same steps could be numbered in two ways
It seems the logic is: (first line for principal heading, second for secondary heading, see images above)

- Step 1. Starting the Submission
--1. Start

(- Step 2. Uploading the Submission)
(--2. Upload Submission)

- Step 3. Entering the Submission's Metadata /// Step 2. Entering the Submission's Metadata
-- 3. Enter Metadata /// 2. Enter Metadata

- Step 4. Uploading Supplementary Files /// missing
->Step 4a. Add a Supplementary File /// Step 3a. Uploading Supplementary Files
-- 4. Upload Supplementary Files /// 3. Upload Supplementary Files

- Step 5. Confirming the Submission /// Step 4. Confirming the Submission
-- 5. Confirmation /// 4. Confirmation

As I understand it, it should be:
- Step 4. Uploading Supplementary Files /// Step 3. Uploading Supplementary Files*
->Step 4a. Add a Supplementary File /// Step 3a. Add a Supplementary File**
-- 4. Upload Supplementary Files /// 3. Upload Supplementary Files

* a message key must be added
** a message key content must be corrected (?)

Code is
Code: Select all
<message key="author.submit">New Submission</message>
   <message key="author.track">Active Submissions</message>
   <message key="author.submit.startHere">Start here to submit a paper to this conference.</message>
   <message key="author.submit.startHereLink">Step one of the submission process</message>
   <message key="author.submit.step1">Step 1. Starting the Submission</message>
   <message key="author.submit.step3">Step 3. Entering the Submission's Metadata</message>
   <message key="author.submit.step3AbstOnly">Step 2. Entering the Submission's Metadata</message>
   <message key="author.submit.step2">Step 2. Uploading the Submission</message>
   <message key="author.submit.step4">Step 4. Uploading Supplementary Files</message>
   <message key="author.submit.step4a">Step 4a. Add a Supplementary File</message>
   <message key="author.submit.step5">Step 5. Confirming the Submission</message>
   <message key="author.submit.step5SkipSupp">Step 4. Confirming the Submission</message>
   <message key="author.submit.start">1. Start</message>
   <message key="author.submit.metadata">3. Enter Metadata</message>
   <message key="author.submit.metadataOnly">2. Enter Metadata</message>
   <message key="author.submit.upload">2. Upload Submission</message>
   <message key="author.submit.uploadOnly">3. Upload Submission</message>
   <message key="author.submit.supplementaryFiles">4. Upload Supplementary Files</message>
   <message key="author.submit.supplementaryFilesAbstractOnly">3. Upload Supplementary Files</message>
   <message key="author.submit.supplementaryFilesInfoAbstractOnly">Step 3a. Uploading Supplementary Files</message>
   <message key="author.submit.confirmation">5. Confirmation</message>
   <message key="author.submit.confirmationSkipSupp">4. Confirmation</message>
Last edited by georgeKapsomenos on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
georgeKapsomenos

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi George,

We welcome the questions, and we're all too happy to help out! You have actually helped find a number of bugs, so the time you spend here is contributing back to the project. Regarding your questions:

a) In the patch 3353 the reported line that should be edited is 158.7. In my case this line of code was at 130.
Is this a type error or other things have been added during the development process which have caused this difference?

Other things may have gone into the file during development, or you may have already added to the file by patching it before. Your best bet is to try and add the change, but to keep a backup version of your original/last working file to reviert to in case anything gets broken. And of course, you should always backup your database before trying anything major.

Also for that bug report (Paper commenting "add" form broken) there are three patches available there...following the comment
OCS 2.3.3-1 users will need to apply both the PKP and OCS 2.3.3-1 parts of the
patch.
I have only applied the first and the third of the available patches...do I need to apply the second also?

Nope, you should be fine with the first and third patches.

b) For the bug report 5786 "##submissions.reviewRound## appears untranslated", the available patch is to replace ".reviewRound" with ".reviewStage"
CODE: SELECT ALL
- <td width="20%" style="padding: 0 4px 0 0; font-size: 1.0em">{translate key="submissions.reviewRound"}</td>
+ <td width="20%" style="padding: 0 4px 0 0; font-size: 1.0em">{translate key="submissions.reviewStage"}</td>

But in my original file, the ".reviewStage" was already there...
...does this mean the fix was incorporated in the official file download or is it a mistake and ".reviewRound" must instead be added to that line of code?

That's strange -- that line shouldn't be there. Are you sure you haven't already applied the patch? In any case, if the change has already been made you can safely ignore it.

Here's a tip for figuring out the history of a file: you can check in Github for a history of that any file (for example, templates/trackDirector/submissionsInReview.tp) by going to https://github.com/pkp/ocs; following the directory structure until you get to the file in question (eg. https://github.com/pkp/ocs/blob/master/ ... Review.tpl); and then clicking the "history" option for that file. You can then look at the file and all the commits to it, and find the revision that corresponds to the bug report and patch and see what the file looked like to us at that time. Note that this doesn't mean the file is necessarily usable at that point -- it may include other bugs, etc.

See possibly http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6308, but more likley http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6076#c2 -- try running the query Alec has listed in that bugzilla comment against your database (back up first) and see if the problem persists.

I'll try and get to your other questions a little later on today or tomorrow.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby georgeKapsomenos » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:07 am

Thank you for your answers first of all,

Other things may have gone into the file during development, or you may have already added to the file by patching it before. Your best bet is to try and add the change, but to keep a backup version of your original/last working file to reviert to in case anything gets broken.And of course, you should always backup your database before trying anything major.

I am sure enough I have not added any other patch or made any other change to that file before...
I have generally only applied the patches in the "Recommended patches for 2.3.3.1" wiki and the ones that I have come across working with OCS which, thanks to your input, have been fixed...
Being a rookie who tends to mess things up, I have now extracted the OCS download archive in 3 locations...I keep the first for checking the original files, the second I have it to implement the most needed and recommended patches and use it for new installations, official or testing ones, and a third where I initially tried to implement many other changes that sounded serious from the git website...I've sort of given up on the last one though

That's strange -- that line shouldn't be there. Are you sure you haven't already applied the patch? In any case, if the change has already been made you can safely ignore it..

I redownloaded the archive just now and checked, the entry is the updated one...that's good though, since it saves me time.

Here's a tip for figuring out the history of a file: you can check in Github for a history of that any file (for example, templates/trackDirector/submissionsInReview.tp) by going to https://github.com/pkp/ocs; following the directory structure until you get to the file in question (eg. https://github.com/pkp/ocs/blob/master/ ... Review.tpl); and then clicking the "history" option for that file. You can then look at the file and all the commits to it, and find the revision that corresponds to the bug report and patch and see what the file looked like to us at that time. Note that this doesn't mean the file is necessarily usable at that point -- it may include other bugs, etc.

That's a great tip, thanks

See possibly http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6308, but more likley http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6076#c2 -- try running the query Alec has listed in that bugzilla comment against your database (back up first) and see if the problem persists.

I ran the query, but I get a message:
"#1054 - Unknown column 'product_class_name' in 'field list'"
I haven't had the time to apply the patches, though, and check the linked commits. I will report back as soon as I do

Thanks

EDIT: I did check the bug reports but the files in git that refer to OCS have other changes made to them before, I'm afraid I'll mess it up implementing changes meant for newer file versions to my existing 2.3.3.1 installation...
...if an updated package can be made available, as you suggested in your post in another thread, I guess I'll wait...
Last edited by georgeKapsomenos on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
georgeKapsomenos

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:02 pm

Hi George,

Regarding your post about submission numbering: I have replicated this, and have filed a bug report and possible fix here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6397. Please take a look. And thanks for the report!

Keep me posted on how everything else is working out.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby georgeKapsomenos » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:42 am

jmacgreg wrote:Hi George,

Regarding your post about submission numbering: I have replicated this, and have filed a bug report and possible fix here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6397. Please take a look. And thanks for the report!

Keep me posted on how everything else is working out.

Cheers,
James

Hi James

I implemented the changes and it works great for me! Thanks!

On a different note, I noticed today something weird with the submission's character encoding for "Affiliation"

8) In submission process, in "Entering the Submission's Metadata", I have entered data in Greek both in the "Affiliation" and in the "Bio statement" fields (both TinyMCE textareas).
After completing the submission, I went to "Notifications", where it showed the events relating to the submission, I clicked "GO TO URL" and in that page, under "Submission Metadata", for "Affiliation" the characters are rendered as HTML entities (is that how it's called?). I am seeing
&Pi;&alpha;&nu;&epsilon;&pi;&iota;&sigma;&tau;ή&mu;&iota;&omicron; &Alpha;&iota;&gamma;&alpha;ί&omicron;&upsilon;

Whereas, I should be seeing
Πανεπιστήμιο Αιγαίου

They are displayed the same way if I access the relevant page as a Director in the path
Home > Conference Name > User > Director > Submissions > #x > Summary

The weird thing is, this only happens with the "Affiliation" field...the Greek words I have entered in the "Bio statement" are displayed properly...

PS In this installation I have not messed with TinyMCE's configuration, about which I was inquiring in another thread.

-- The following is not an error, so I will just report it as a suggestion...in the locale files, the {$conferenceTitle} is never within quotation marks, something which is not correct in Greek at least when the title is inside a sentence (like the one displayed in the final "Confirmation" step of the submission process...so I have taken the step to put the above in "" in the Greek translation
Last edited by georgeKapsomenos on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
georgeKapsomenos

Postby georgeKapsomenos » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:10 am

jmacgreg wrote:

Cheers,
James

I have taken the steps for OCS, PKP/LIB in the bug report 6076 but the problem persists...
To summarize again
- I cannot move the Custom Plugin below 2nd position in the sidebar
- I cannot have more than one Custom Plugin...the one created last eliminates the previous one from Block Plugins, the Sidebar and the List of Block Plugins in step 4 - Style of website management
georgeKapsomenos

Postby georgeKapsomenos » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:17 pm

(The bombardment continues...)

9) I have a problem with character encoding for the Registrants/Review/Papers Report in "Stats & Reports" in Conference Site Management...

The created .csv files show characters both as "Αναγνωριστικό ΧρήστΌ" and as HTML entities (?) "&omicron"

Can this be fixed?

10) In Conference Site Management > Scheduler > Schedule Presentations & Events if I click "cancel", I am lead to a 404 page with the following URL
-http://www.example.com/ocs/index.php/conference_path/scheduled_conference_path/manager/schedules-

Maybe the final "s" there is at fault?
georgeKapsomenos

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:50 am

Hi George,

Regarding the custom block issue: I have replicated the first problem, and have reported it here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6413. I'm having trouble replicating the second problem, though. Just to double-check -- is this a new install of OCS, or did you upgrade from a previous version?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby georgeKapsomenos » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:05 am

This is not an upgraded version, but a clean install...

thank you once again.
georgeKapsomenos

Next

Return to OCS Technical Support