OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Problems with Login

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Problems with Login

Postby vwbpe » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:46 am

We're having problem with people logging into OCS after they have registered for the first time. I have no idea what is causing the problem only that you put in your credentials and they aren't accepted even though they are correct. I've had this problem myself on multiple occassions and the only thing I've found as a work around is to a) shut down the browser completely and open a new one and then b) use the login fiels on the right hand menu, and then c) do not check the "remember me" box (which doesn't seem to work anyways).

I'm not positive that this is actually a work around thou because I can't recreate the error on demand - I have to wait for it to occur and then once something works I have to wait for the problem to reoccur again.

We are in the midst of the final run up to our conference and so far I've had 5 people email about this.

Any help in what we need to do to get a permanent fix would be apprecitated. I've tried the "session_check_ip = Off" trick that was mentioned in one of the other posts but that doesn't seem to have helped.

Thanks
Kevin
vwbpe

Re: Problems with Login

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:57 pm

Hi Kevin,

Which browser(s) is/are being affected by this? As much information on the affected browser(s) and operating system is appreciated. FYI, I just registered a test account and tried logging in with Chrome and Firefox 3.x in OS X, and had no problems.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby vwbpe » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:26 pm

I know that IE8 has acted up and Firefox although I'm not certian which versions.

One problem we ran into and got corrected was that firefox would sometimes take a user name such as amy_grant and convert the user name to Amy_Grant. Since the userids are case sensitive we got them to try it again forcing lowercase and then it worked. Not sure why FF was doing that.

I'm using IE 8.0.7600 on Windows 7 64-bit. If I try to use the regular login page and click "remember me" it just sends me back to where I was and refuses to let me sign in. If I don't click the "remember me" then it works. - Not sure why that is but I'm assuming that this probably accounts for 80% of why people are saying they can't get into the system.

Kevin
vwbpe

Postby vwbpe » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:55 pm

Here is another one I can't figure out . My login works fine on IE8 subject to what I posted earlier however when I go to put in someone else's that is also having trouble getting logged in - what I get is the following:

http://conf.vwbpe.org/index.php/VWBPE/11/reader

Oops! This link appears to be broken.
Suggestions:
•Go to vwbpe.­org
•Search on Google:

This is what I'm redirected to from the main login page. No idea why this is coming up.
vwbpe

Postby vwbpe » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:59 pm

Okay - It gets weirder - When I gave up trying to log in as another user I tried logging in using my credentials. It logged me in - but it logged me in as the other user - not my profile.

I'm assuming its not suppose to do this. I'm also hoping I can get back in under my own ID otherwise we're pooched.
vwbpe

Postby jmacgreg » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:53 pm

Hi Kevin,

I'm running into an entirely different problem while trying to log into your site using IE8: after I enter my user credentials and click the login button, I come to a blank page. It appears that there may be some sort of redirect issue happening, although this only seems to happen in IE7/8. I'm testing in a pretty roundabout way right now -- basically via a VMWare install on my Mac machine -- and I'll be attempting to test this natively tomorrow.

I'm not sure what's going on wrt your finding yourself logged on as another user. You should be able to sidestep this by logging out completely, and clearing your browser cache. If that doesn't work, let me know, and also possibly try a different browser.

I'll try and get back to you tomorrow with further suggestions.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OCS Technical Support