OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Email Reminder Task for Journal Management.

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Email Reminder Task for Journal Management.

Postby bdgregg » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:09 am

All,

Given that we are setting up so many journals here we've found that we are now looking for some sort of email reminder system that would allow us to setup some sort of email schedule to remind Editors and Journal Managers of up coming dates of things like production schedule as well as notices of any upcoming meetings.

It would compromise normal repeating notifications (monthly, quarterly, yearly, etc.), as well as being able to send one off notices for like meeting reminders, etc. It would be like a simple calendar with an email reminding system. Where the journal manager or editors could create the notification and include free flowing detail information (note) to be included in the email. I realize there are other utilities out there (Exchange, Outlook, Google, etc) that could do this, but I feel that at least some of this should be tied to the journal.

I see that there is a Task class already defined in the system and that there is a scheduler that runs as well.
So extending this seems to be possible.

Has anyone thought of including something like I've described above or is it already available (and I just don't know about it?) :oops:

If not, could we suggest such an enhancement? I think it would benefit those that use the system significantly.

Or if anyone knows of a 3rd party system (preferably that uses PHP) that works well in your situation, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks,
Brian Gregg.
bdgregg

Re: Email Reminder Task for Journal Management.

Postby asmecher » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Hi Brian,

It's a blurry line between OJS and the greater worlds of publication workflow and community management, but I'd argue that this kind of thing is better suited to an external tool. Perhaps it would be possible to get the best of both worlds by streamlining the process of building up a recipient list in OJS and getting it into an external tool for the actual mailout? The best solutions in my opinion are ones that delegate work to the best tool for the job, focusing on smart and intuitive integration between the two. Especially when standards can be used to ease the integration.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby sttis » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:25 pm

Hi Brian,

We're looking for similar functionality. Did you choose an external solution for this in the end?

Thanks,
Suzy
sttis

Postby bdgregg » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:04 am

Suzy,

So far we have not chosen an external system to handle this, however I'm finding that most any CRM (Customer Relationship Management) solution should fit the bill and would provide additional features that we could leverage to handle not only workflows etc. but to allow for ticketing and help desk support as well. I have been looking at vTiger https://www.vtiger.com/open-source/ as an option here but we have not implemented it as of yet. So we're still just in the "looking" phase. :roll:

I hope this helps.
Brian.
bdgregg

Postby sttis » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:42 pm

Thanks Brian. We have an enterprise wide CRM here, so I will look into that. It didn't occur to me!

Cheers,
Suzy
sttis

Return to OJS Technical Support