OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Captcha Stopping New Registrations

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Captcha Stopping New Registrations

Postby janer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:25 am

Hello,

Since our Captcha was finally turned on 6 weeks ago, we have received no spam registrations thank goodness (up to 50 a week before that which was a nightmare), but only 6 'proper' ones. Worried about this, I used another email address I have to go through the registration process. It took me 7 attempts to enter the Captcha numbers and letters so they actually worked! And I was really concentrating, and so I can only assume that you are intended to work out that if Upper case letters are shown the same size as lower case ones then they still should be entered as upper case - but it is not always easy to tell which is which is it!

Surely this bar on registrations isn't the experience of other Journals? I am convinced it is the reason we are not getting new registrations and we are really seeking to build our registration so this situation cannot be allowed to continue.

Can anybody advise me if they have had the same problems please, and if so how to fix it. We are running on OJS 2.2.1 if that's relevant, and make no charges to view.

Many thanks,

Janer
janer

Re: Captcha Stopping New Registrations

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi Janer,

I haven't heard of others hitting this kind of problem, but that doesn't mean it's not happening elsewhere. You may want to add some explicatory text to the "Validation Image" message key -- that's the common.captchaField.altText message key, which you can find in locale/en_US/locale.xml. You can also try experimenting with which font is used by changing the font_location parameter in config.inc.php -- you may find that another font might be more readable.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby janer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:12 am

Dear James,

Ironically, it has just taken me 4 goes to get through your Captcha template, so maybe the problem is more widespread than you think! I must have made a mistake the first time I typed it in because it immediately came up with the template and also told me I had exceeded my allowed attempts to log in - oh really - only one? Then I wasn't sure if the comma after the second word in the template should be included, so I put it in and that didn't work and so on!

When I asked our Editor to try on our own website it took him 4 attempts to register using another email address - so it obviously is causing us a serious problem!

Thanks for your advice - but it would be helpful to have guidance about the best font to use please.

Cheers
Jane
janer

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:39 am

Hi Jane,

I do share your frustration -- Captchas are definitely an imperfect solution to an infuriating problem, and we do get complaints about the reCaptcha plugin we use on the forum. Unfortunately, the reCaptcha plugin itself is probably the world's most-used captcha, and even that is apparently crackable (see http://www.allspammedup.com/2010/01/goo ... a-cracked/). Right now the problem is trying to find a balance between what humans can read and what computers can't, and that margin is becoming increasingly thin.

Back to your specific problem -- can you tell me which font you are using in your captcha, and possibly even provide a link to your site (PM is fine)? It'd be easier for me to see just how difficult the captcha is before I recommend a font.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby newone » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:11 pm

janer wrote:Hello,

Since our Captcha was finally turned on 6 weeks ago, we have received no spam registrations thank goodness (up to 50 a week before that which was a nightmare), but only 6 'proper' ones. Worried about this, I used another email address I have to go through the registration process. It took me 7 attempts to enter the Captcha numbers and letters so they actually worked! And I was really concentrating, and so I can only assume that you are intended to work out that if Upper case letters are shown the same size as lower case ones then they still should be entered as upper case - but it is not always easy to tell which is which is it!

Surely this bar on registrations isn't the experience of other Journals? I am convinced it is the reason we are not getting new registrations and we are really seeking to build our registration so this situation cannot be allowed to continue.

Can anybody advise me if they have had the same problems please, and if so how to fix it. We are running on OJS 2.2.1 if that's relevant, and make no charges to view.

Many thanks,

Janer

I can confirm that the Captcha code does present issues for registrations even in later edition of OJS. We have experienced similar issues. In some cases, you have to enter those Captcha code about 5 or 6 times for it to work.

For those that are having issues, we do help register for them. It would be great if this issue can be resolved by OJS.
newone

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi newone,

Very recent versions of OJS/OCS have had recaptcha support also added (the code for which can be grabbed from http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4082). While not perfect, this recaptcha option *may* work better than the original captcha -- I'll note, though, that we do still have to help folks with recaptcha registration even on the support forum and wiki here, so it's still not perfect.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion