OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Installing on 0sX

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Installing on 0sX

Postby racca » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:30 am

Hi

I am having a problem setting up OCS on my Apple. After I have successfullly complete install process I try to log in as admin and are refused access. It reports an incorrect password.

I have reinstalled and started from scatch several times.

System configuration:
OS X 10.4.1
PHP 5.12 (entropy install)
MySQL 5.0.18-standard

The install process seems to complete all each actions ie database tables created.

If type the wrong username it gives a message stating that. So It must be storing the username successfully.

Thanks
Kevin Raxworthy
Dept of Art, Curtin University
racca

Postby asmecher » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:43 am

Hi Kevin,

We've had reports that OCS has trouble with some PHP 5.x platforms; however, you should receive some sort of error message indicating the problem. Check your server logs and see if anything relevant has appeared.

Meanwhile, a member of the OCS community has volunteered to work on improving OCS compatibility with PHP 5.x. I'll post here when this happens.

OCS has been extremely popular and is past due for a rewrite; we hope to be able to give it some attention in the near future.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby racca » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:24 pm

Hi

Thanks for the quick response. I checked the error logs.

There were 3 types of errors, undefined constant, undefined index and undefined variable.

I have rechecked that register_globals is reported as being On by the install script.

That gives me an idea of where I should start looking.

Thanks

Kevin Raxworthy
Dept of Art
Curtin University
racca

Postby asmecher » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:06 pm

Hi Kevin,

The first place to look is in the database to see whether the admin username and password are properly stored. If they're not, the problem is in the install process; if they are, the problem is in the login validation. Here's how to check:
  • Go into the MySQL database (you can see the login information in include/db.inc.php) with a command line like the following:
    Code: Select all
    mysql -u my_user_name -p my_database_name
  • When prompted, enter the database password
  • Run the following query:
    Code: Select all
    SELECT admin_login, admin_password, md5('ocs_admin_password_here') FROM conference_global;
    This should return your admin username in the first column, and two hashed values in the second and third columns. If the second and third columns are equal, it means the OCS admin password is correctly stored. If the columns don't match, or no row is returned, your admin configuration isn't properly stored.
Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby racca » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:56 pm

Hi Alec

The passwords MD5 hashes matched so that is fine.

I may of found a solution.
As well as setting register_golbals = On, I set register_long_arrays = On and register_argc_argv = On .

From the description in php.ini register_long_arrays effects input arrays and register_argc_argv effects some args passed by get statements.

I can now log on to the conference database.

Thanks

Kevin Raxworthy
Dept of Art
Curtin university
racca

Return to OCS Technical Support