OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Multilingual Journals

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Multilingual Journals

Postby arika » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:47 pm

I've been recommended to use Open Journal System to have my Journal been done.

It's completely ok everything, as far as I understand the system... but I got a basic question I don't know if OJS can satisfy:

Can I create a multilingual Journal with OJS?

I mean, is OJS capable of managing more than one language (in the articles side of it). So that I can translate my Journal into several languages before publishing and users can choose to read the journal in their prefered language.

Thank you.
arika

Re: Multilingual Journals

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:50 pm

Hi Arika,

Yes, OJS is just about 100% multilingual. You can publish articles and add content in as many languages as you want, although you should check to see if the language you need is supported. Additionally, you can always look at translating OJS into the language you need if it's not available.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby arika » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:50 pm

Thank you for the advice... by the way I'm just now trying to understand completely how the system works with the members of my group.

As I've understood from this page, if I just install the language in the system, by some weird (haha It's a joke ;)) magic multilingual features would appear so in the editorial process I can translate all the articles in my journal before publishing so it will be a multilingual journal, isn't it?

Thank you all in advance.
arika

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:47 am

Hi arika,

Yep, that's pretty much it. You'll have to ensure that the languages you want to use are installed both at the Site Admin and then the Journal Management level; then you can change the Form Language at the top of any multilingual page to add content in your non-primary languages at will.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jfructuoso » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:37 am

Hi pkp family,

We also have a multilingual journal: A single issue can include some articles in one language and some articles in another one (e.g. the journal main language is “ca_ES” and a single issue has three articles written in “ca_ES”, two articles written in “en_US” and four articles written in “fr_CA”).
The problem appears where a file is submitted with a different language than the main one and we select a third language to read the article (e.g. main: ca_ES; submit: fr_CA; reading: “en_US”).

The table of contents show the link “PDF(Catalan)”, although the submitting language of the file is French. We think this behaviour could lead to confusion. This link appears due the main language is ca_ES? Exists any way to have a link that pointed to “PDF (French)”? We use a 2.2.4 OJS version.

Thank you for your support
Josep
Attachments
MultilingualJournal.jpg
MultilingualJournal.jpg (128.48 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
jfructuoso

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:56 pm

Hi Josep,

OJS' multilingual functionality has been improved a fair bit between OJS 2.2.4 and 2.3.x, and this may already have been fixed. Are you able to upgrade in the near future to see if this is still an issue?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jfructuoso » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:42 am

Hi James,

It's a great news!!! But we are not able to change our OJS version yet (we change it to 2.2.4 just seven months ago), although we keep it in mind.

Thank you very much
Josep
jfructuoso

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion