OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Problems extracting OCS install files

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Problems extracting OCS install files

Postby nls » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:52 pm

I downloaded the ocs-2.1.2-1.tar.gz.gz file to my Win desktop and then ftp'd it to my Unix based webhosting co server. When I try to extract it:
>gunzip ocs-2.1.2-1.tar.gz.gz
>ls
>ocs-2.1.2-1.tar.gz
>gunzip ocs-2.1.2-1.tar.gz
>gunzip: ocs-2.1.2-1.tar.gz: not in gzip format
So I tried renaming it to .tar and got
>tar xzvf ocs-2.1.2-1.tar
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
(I tried using tar with the file ending in .tar.gz and got the same error)
I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.
Any suggestions. Thank you.
nls

Re: Problems extracting OCS install files

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:31 am

Hi NLS,

Try running the following command from the documentation on the original package: http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/docs/userguide/2. ... ckage.html.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby nls » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:56 pm

I needed to find out how difficult OCS was to install before you were able to get back to me. I was able to force an install with >tar -xf ocs-*.
Thanks for your reply, I'd missed the link to the online docs. That's very helpful.
-- nls
nls

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi NLS,

Good to hear you got the problem fixed. I'll also clarify my earlier original statement (which must have been written in a rush, as it doesn't make much sense): you'll find comprehensive install instructions included in the docs/ directory in the original package you downloaded; you can also follow the link I provided to find detailed instructions for OJS -- the installation instructions for each system are identical.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OCS Technical Support