OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

2 custom review form problems...

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

2 custom review form problems...

Postby eliotbates » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:25 pm

We are using custom review forms, and so far have gotten as far as being able to create proper forms and to collect reviews. That's excellent, but...

1) when we send out author notifications, and click on the "Notify Author" icon and then on the "Import Peer Reviews," no text from the reviews is incorporated into the email.

2) and, when we access the review itself (which appears in a popup window), the contents of the most important form element, a textarea box containing the content that's supposed to go into the review, are visible but can not be highlighted nor copied and pasted. Thus, we can't do anything with the only true "text" that reviewers entered to be sent to the original author. We have to manually retype the entire reviewer comments in order to get them into the notify author email.

Is this the normal behavior at the moment? Any workarounds that would expedite the review process?

Thanks...
eliotbates

Re: 2 custom review form problems...

Postby eliotbates » Fri May 01, 2009 12:58 pm

So it looks like part of my query is explainable as a code bug (http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3669 ) that was addressed in the 2.2.3 update. However, since we don't have shell access, that will take a bit of time to implement. In the short term, does anyone know in which code block (I'm guessing a template file, for example) the "Review Form Response" is generated? The url we see when viewing this form is:

index.php/journal/editor/viewReviewFormResponse

and it's connected with a javascript openComments function.

I need to find where the textarea boxes are being declared as "disabled," so that hopefully I can just remove that tag insertion, so at least we can copy and paste the contents of the textarea into the response emails.

thanks...
-eliot
eliotbates

Postby jmacgreg » Fri May 01, 2009 3:22 pm

Hi Eliot,

The very last patch in that thread should address your concerns -- if you can apply that to your 2.2.2 install, you should be good to go.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby rexdmatthews » Sat May 02, 2009 6:46 am

Our OJS installation has the latest 2.2.3 patch installed, and I still have a similar problem with copying text from the text boxes in a custom review form. The usual CTRL-C copy command just does not work. However I have discovered that if I highlight a block of text (some or all) in a text box and right-click on the highlighted block, I get a popup context menu containing a Copy command. If I click on Copy and go to a word processor document, the regular CTRL-V paste command works just fine.

Two related questions:

(1) Is there any way to export ALL of the text from a custom review form to word processor document without going through the copy-and-paste drill for each separate text box? Or to print out a review (including all of the text in the custom text boxes) at one time?

(2) Is there any way to increase the SIZE of the text boxes in a custom review form? The default boxes are very small and several of my reviewers have complained about the amount of scrolling they end up doing. I know they can compose their reviews in a word processor document and then copy-and-paste into the text boxes, but that can be a nuisance, and on the other end, the small size of the boxes results in a lot of scrolling for a an editor reading the reviews -- or in doing the copy-and-paste work to turn the review into a word processor document that can be be printed and saved.
rexdmatthews

Postby jmacgreg » Tue May 05, 2009 11:24 am

Hi Eliot and Rex,

Apologies, Eliot -- I should have read your original post more closely. I've replicated the copy problem, and have posted a bug here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4243. Please feel free to CC yourself to that report for further updates.

Rex, your questions follow:

(1) Is there any way to export ALL of the text from a custom review form to word processor document without going through the copy-and-paste drill for each separate text box? Or to print out a review (including all of the text in the custom text boxes) at one time?

Not currently, no, but I've addressed this in the report above.

(2) Is there any way to increase the SIZE of the text boxes in a custom review form? The default boxes are very small and several of my reviewers have complained about the amount of scrolling they end up doing. I know they can compose their reviews in a word processor document and then copy-and-paste into the text boxes, but that can be a nuisance, and on the other end, the small size of the boxes results in a lot of scrolling for a an editor reading the reviews -- or in doing the copy-and-paste work to turn the review into a word processor document that can be be printed and saved.

I've addressed some of these issues in http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4244.

Thanks again for these comments. If you have any further comments regarding review form functionality, please let us know in this thread, or via the relevant bug reports.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby mgscano » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:08 am

One more on custom forms: how do I create a textbox which content will be accessed only by the Section Editor and the Reviewer, to make it work similarly to the default one?
mgscano

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:31 pm

Hi Marco,

That functionality doesn't yet exist, but I've just thrown in a bug report for it: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4524. Please feel free to CC yourself to that report for future updates (and to add any other comments as you see fit).

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby philipl » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:29 am

Have just started to review articles via review form. I agree the boxes are far too small. I would also - if possible - like an optional item which allowed reviewers to upload a file if they preferred something more detailed than is appropriate for boxes.

Philip
philipl

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:10 pm

Hi Philip,

Reviewers can upload a file during the review process. IIRC, it's step 4 of the review process.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Reviewer form textarea

Postby solty » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:00 am

Hi,
I was created a reviewer form but automatically, have small text area.
I was use firefox CSS editor, I was find code.
<textarea class="textArea" cols="40" rows="4"></textarea>

I want to change from small to 80X30 text area. But, unfortunately, I was not find code point, code location file.
Where is the <textarea class="textArea" cols="40" rows="4"></textarea>?

Many thanks...

Solty
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (62.25 KiB) Viewed 2288 times
solty

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:15 pm

Hi Solty,

Try looking in templates/submission/reviewForm/reviewFormResponse.tpl.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby solty » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:27 am

Hi James,
many thanks... :D
solty

Postby solty » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:34 am

Hi James,
I was not find directly all code like as <textarea class="textArea" cols="40" rows="4"></textarea> in the content.

Changed textarea size in the tpl, but there is no any effect on textbox in the reviewer form preview.
I think that there is another general .tpl file control???
Best,

Solty
solty

Postby solty » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:43 am

Hi Again,
I was find another tpl's

/httpdocs/journal/templates/manager/reviewForm
Changed...
beST,
solty

Postby solty » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:22 am

Dear James,
I am sorry for repeated questions.
Last question form uS! :) :D

Submission STEP 1.
As you know there is small box: "Comments for the Editor, Enter text (optional)"
I want two change text from "Comments for the Editor, Enter text (optional)" to "Please suggest at least 3 reviewer name and mail."
Again, I was not find corresponding text!

I use Firefox and firebug for CSS. Do you know another software for corresponding text?
Sincerely yours from Türkiye.
solty

Next

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion