OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Problem upgrading to OCS 2.2.2.0

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Problem upgrading to OCS 2.2.2.0

Postby mcyzyk » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:41 am

I am trying to upgrade OCS from version 2.1.1.1 to the latest, 2.2.2.0. Here is my problem:

I followed the upgrade instructions for "Full Package" and when I go, via my Web browser, to the OCS homepage it refreshes to this:

http://myserver/ocs/index.php/index/index/install

Yet this is a blank screen.

So I searched the Forums and found this:
http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/PKP_Fr ... do_I_do.3F

I therefore placed ini_set('display_errors', E_ALL); near the top of my index.php file, but get the same blank screen

Finally I am able to find my error log. Here is the message:

[Wed Nov 03 11:05:40 2010] [error] [client ] ocs2 has produced an error\n Message: WARNING: Smarty::include() [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: Failed opening '/var/www/html/ocs/cache/t_compile/%%7D^7DC^7DC17B21%%install.tpl.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/var/www/html/ocs/classes:/var/www/html/ocs/pages:/var/www/html/ocs/lib/pkp:/var/www/html/ocs/lib/pkp/includes:/var/www/html/ocs/lib/pkp/classes:/var/www/html/ocs/lib/pkp/pages:/var/www/html/ocs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb:/var/www/html/ocs/lib/pkp/lib/phputf8:/var/www/html/ocs/lib/pkp/lib/pqp/classes:/var/www/html/ocs/lib/pkp/lib/smarty:.:/php/includes:/usr/share/pear')\n In file: /var/www/html/ocs/lib/pkp/lib/smarty/Smarty.class.php\n At line: 1256\n Stacktrace: \n Server info:\n OS: Linux\n PHP Versiion: 5.1.6\n Apache Version: Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat)\n DB Driver: mysql\n DB server version: 5.1.35-log

I made sure my /cache/ directory is writable. Still no joy. Not sure what else to do.

Advice appreciated. (And once I'm done this, I have to upgrade OJS!)

Mark Cyzyk
Johns Hopkins University
mcyzyk

Re: Problem upgrading to OCS 2.2.2.0

Postby mcyzyk » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:24 am

Er, I am actually trying to upgrade OCS to the latest, version 2.3.3-1. (2.2.2.0 is the latest version for OJS, which is next on my list of things to do...)

Sheepishly,

Mark
mcyzyk

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:40 pm

Hi Mark,

Try clearing your template cache manually, ie. by sshing/ftping to the server and deleting all directory contents -- you'll find it in /cache/t_compile. If that doesn't work, let us know and I'll ask a developer to take a closer look.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby mcyzyk » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:27 am

Try clearing your template cache manually, ie. by sshing/ftping to the server and deleting all directory contents -- you'll find it in /cache/t_compile. If that doesn't work, let us know and I'll ask a developer to take a closer look.

Thanks, James, but that didn't work. Still getting the same error.

Mark
mcyzyk

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:43 am

Hi Mark,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this one -- it slipped by me. I'll ask a developer to take a look ASAP.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby mcrider » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi Mark,

Try recursively making your cache directory writable, e.g. call something like 'chmod -R 755 cache/' from your OCS directory.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby mcyzyk » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:56 pm

Try recursively making your cache directory writable, e.g. call something like 'chmod -R 755 cache/' from your OCS directory.

Thanks, Matt!

I'm back on the trail of this, trying to upgrade both OCS and OJS to the latest. I just ran the chmod command against my ojs cache directory, and still no joy: I get a blank screen. My cache dir looks like this:

drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Mar 2 15:08 _db
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 2 15:08 t_cache
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 16384 Mar 2 15:24 t_compile
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 2 15:08 t_config

And I'm still getting the same error about not being able to compile. (This, below, is from my attempted OJS upgrade, but it was the same with my OCS attempt):

Message: WARNING: Smarty::include() [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: Failed opening '/var/www/html/ojs/cache/t_compile/%%7D^7DC^7DC17B21%%install.tpl.php

I am assuming it's trying to WRITE this *install.tpl.php file to the t_compile directory, but can't. And yet it looks like my permissions are correct, yes?

Confused,

Mark
mcyzyk

Postby asmecher » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:17 pm

Hi Mark,

Nope, your permissions aren't correct -- according to the listing you included above, your files are owned by the root user, and only root can write to them. You need to find out which user your web server uses to execute PHP scripts, and make sure the cache directory and all of its contents can be written by that user. It's typically "www-data" or "apache" on a Linux system using mod_php, but your configuration may vary.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby mcyzyk » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:49 pm

Righto! Changed ownership to the Apache account and we're in bidness. (Getting a new error now when attempting the upgrade -- "A database error has occurred: Table 'ojs.copyed_assignments' doesn't exist" [and sorry, this is for my attempted OJS upgrade, not the OCS upgrade with which I initialized this thread] -- but I'm thinking there are patches I must install somewhere before performing this upgrade. Bottom line, though: Different error = Progress.)

Thanks,

Mark
mcyzyk

Return to OCS Technical Support