OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Special character problem in Browse by Author

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Special character problem in Browse by Author

Postby ntorres » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:32 am

We have a problem with some special characters when browse by author.
This page shows all authors group by the first letter of Last Name; at the beginning of this list shows the letter.

The query on our UTF8 database returns this list ordered by authors last name, so the template for each author gets the first position of $author->getLastName() and compare it with the next.

I think if we are using UTF-8 some characters (á, é, í, ó, ú) occupy double space so comparing the first position is not enough. If we find an Á and gets only the first position it returns an ?. I’m right? How can we solve it?

Thanks
ntorres

Postby mjordan » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:58 am

This is probably something that can be fixed, but I'll let Alec evaluate it. He'll be back online in a few days. Sorry for the delay.

Mark
mjordan

Postby Imago » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:01 am

May I reformulate the question - How can we extend the alphabet array to include special and non-Latin characters?

Thank you
Imago

Postby asmecher » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:48 pm

Hi Imago,

See http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2124 for a patch for this issue; please report back here if you have any trouble.

If the sort order isn't coming out properly, make sure your database supports multibyte strings and the encoding is set properly (config.inc.php).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
Last edited by asmecher on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asmecher

Postby Imago » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:13 am

Thank you, Alec!

I've made the patch, and Cyrillic names are showing up after the Latin names, as it should be. See the last name

http://www.slavica.org/index.php/bulrus ... horsPage=2

Now the problem is how to add the Cyrillic letters to the horizontal line of linked letters.

Regards
Imago

Postby asmecher » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:23 am

Hi Imago,

I've filed a bugzilla entry for the ability to extend the alpha list; see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2126 and feel free to sign yourself up on the CC list. We should get to this as part of the next incremental release of OJS; for now, however, you'll need to modify the template. If you're in a hurry, feel free to contact me via email (pkp-support@sfu.ca) and I'll provide instructions on making the modifications.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
Last edited by asmecher on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asmecher

Postby Imago » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:02 am

Thank you. I have signed for a CC account. So far there is no hurry to introduce the extended alpha list, so we can wait for the regular release.
Imago

Return to OJS Technical Support