OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Export from Citation assistant to bibtex

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Export from Citation assistant to bibtex

Postby marchitelli » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:33 am

Hi,
I'm testing the Citation markup assistant (it works very well!) included in the new OJS version.
It would be very useful, I think, an export to BibTeX, too, other than the XML export.
Do you think to add it for the stable release?

Thanks,
Andrea
marchitelli

Re: Export from Citation assistant to bibtex

Postby jerico » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:03 pm

Hi Andrea,

good to hear that you like the new markup assistant. :-)

I agree that BibTeX and also MODS XML would be very useful and we have them on our list. Due to time and resource constraints we do not plan to include those two outputs in our upcoming release, though. I'd be very happy, to assist you in providing BibTex output via a plug-in. Output formats can be added via plug-ins very easily so we wouldn't have to respect the release schedule for that. If you're interested I can post the details here on the forum as it might be interesting to others also how to extend the citation markup assistant. The assistant is very open and you can hook into about anywhere in the process (e.g. to provide custom reference list pre-processors, database connectors or citation extractor services in addition to custom citation output).

If you find an XSL stylesheet that transforms NLM 2.3 or 3.0 <ref-list> or <element-citation> output into BibTeX output, then we're done anyway. In that case we might even be able to include this into our release if we're getting this quickly.

Hope that helps...

jerico
jerico

Postby marchitelli » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:05 am

Hi Jerico,
sorry for my very late reply.

I'm very interested in extending features of citation assistant, also via plugin.
If you post some more information about that, I will try to provide a new plugin for BibTeX.

Andrea
marchitelli

Postby jerico » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:39 pm

Hi Andrea,

marchitelli wrote:I'm very interested in extending features of citation assistant, also via plugin.
If you post some more information about that, I will try to provide a new plugin for BibTeX.

I'm really happy that you want to write a BibTeX citation output filter. That's something we also find very useful!

In OJS 2.3.3 additional citation output filters can be written exactly as what you find in the lib/pkp/classes/citation/output folder. I propose you duplicate the apa folder in there, rename the class and adapt the template so that it creates BibTex output. You can then add the class name to Installer.inc.php after line 657. If you then call the upgrade tool (php tools/upgrade.php upgrade) the filter should be automatically installed and appear in the citation assistant.

The real plug-in infrastructure for citation assistant output formats (in its own plug-in category) will be available in OJS 2.3.4 and is already in the development version. But that doesn't really matter. You can write your output class as I described above and then send it to me. If it conforms to our development standards then I'll make sure that it will be included into our standard code base in OJS 2.3.4 as a real plug-in so you don't have to care about that yourself.

If you have specific questions about the exact implementation of a citation output filter please ask me. I'm happy to help you implement this.

jerico
jerico

Return to OJS Development