OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Blank Page After Submitting Install Page

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Blank Page After Submitting Install Page

Postby mpwoodward » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:18 pm

I'm installing OCS for the first time and hitting a blank screen after submitting the install page. I checked all the previous posts on this issue as well as the FAQ and unfortunately I'm still unable to resolve it. I'm a web developer (mostly Java-related stuff), but I don't do much PHP so my apologies if any of this is basic PHP configuration that I'm not familiar with.

I'm on Ubuntu 10.04 with Apache 2.2, PHP 5 and MySQL 5. I put the OCS files under /var/www/ocs. The main install page comes up fine--when I hit http://localhost/ocs it goes to http://localhost/ocs/index.php/index/index/install and everything looks correct, but when I hit either "Install Open Conference Systems" or "Manual Install" they both result in blank white screens.

I tried turning debugging on in the OCS config.inc.php, and also added an explicit location of PHP errors in my php.ini, but I don't see errors being generated anywhere, including in my Apache logs. I restarted Apache after making these changes.

I'm sure these aren't really enough details to go on at this point, so please let me know what additional information I can provide. I'm sure I'm missing something with turning on debugging in the app and/or PHP.

Thanks,
Matt
mpwoodward

Re: Blank Page After Submitting Install Page

Postby mcrider » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:15 am

Hi Matt,

You might want to to try adding the following line to the beginning of your index.php file right after the <?php line:
ini_set('display_errors', E_ALL);

This should display errors right in the web browser.

Have you made any customizations or accidental edits? You might want to try downloading a fresh copy of OCS--Often if PHP barfs without any errors, there's a typo in a base part of the code (like the 'import' statements). Also, are you sure you've set all the file permissions correctly as per docs/INSTALL?

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby wardi » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:23 am

I'm having the same problem. I've tried adding "ini_set('display_errors', E_ALL);" to the index.php file, but still nothing.

I'm running Debian Lenny, PostgreSQL 8.3, PHP 5.2.6, ocs-2.3.3-1.

I've tried numerous different configuration options. I've tried the manual install button. I've tried the command-line install. I've tried creating the database in advance. All my attempts exit without any error, put no error in the logs and don't create any tables in the database. The command-line install also doesn't have any obvious failure visible from strace. The password I am providing for the database works from psql.

What can I try next?
wardi

Postby wardi » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:01 pm

The problem I was having disappeared after switching to MySQL. I have no insight into what caused the problem.
wardi

Return to OCS Technical Support