OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Request Improved Handling of Sequencing Back Issues

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Request Improved Handling of Sequencing Back Issues

Postby thebigaym » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:56 pm

I'm in this position because I have nearly 100 back issues to upload, while we are publishing current issues.

I thought I was real clever.

I noticed that the URL for the down arrow on back issue ordering had the format:

http://jima.imana.org/editor/moveIssue/532?d=d&newPos=2

I copied that URL to a text editor.

So I hovered over the arrow above the position to which I wanted to move it to get the position that I wanted to get a new NewPos number.

I then edited the URL in the text editor, copied the URL into my browser, and, voila, the issue would jump multiple places to the location I wanted.

The only problem was when my list of issues exceeded 1 page.

I discovered there's no way using the arrows to move a back issue from the first page to the next page.

Then I did the unfortunate mistake of clicking the "Restore Default" order, which apparently is publication date.

I said, well, I can simply change the publication dates on the issues, but the earliest possible date in the "Issue Data" screen is January 1, 1999.

I'm just entering fake dates now to put the issues in order.

Is there any plan to improve the functionality of the "Back Issues" sequence screen and the "Issue Data" sub-screen?
thebigaym

Re: Request Improved Handling of Sequencing Back Issues

Postby thebigaym » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:29 pm

One other thing that's happening.

If I select 2000 as the publication year, save the issue data, and then click on back issues, reselect the issues, I then can go back another 10 years in the drop down menu for the publication year in the Issue Data screen. I've even been able to go back to 1980 doing this cumbersome process.

What's up with that?
thebigaym

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:33 pm

Hi thebigaym,

Regarding your first post: I'm not entirely sure I understand what you did, but in a nutshell -- we have indeed improved the back issue sorting in more recent versions of OJS. I believe from 2.3 onwards there is now drag and drop functionality -- you don't have to use the arrow keys, you can just drag individual journals to wherever you want them displayed. I believe there have been other improvements to the paging interface in general since 2.2.3 -- you may want to try upgrading before continuing with your data import/management process.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby thebigaym » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:21 am

Thanks, I'm contacting the hosting vendor, Scholarly Exchange http://www.scholarlyexchange.org/, to see what version we're using.

Is there any way for me, as journal manager, to know which version of the software is installed? It seems, according to the User Guide, that only the Site Administrator has access to the Administrative Functions.
thebigaym

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:34 pm

Hi thebigaym,

If you are using a relatively recent version of OJS, you can also look at the HTML page source -- you will find the version listed in the page's <meta name="generator" ...> tag.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Development