OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Installing OJS under IIS6

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Installing OJS under IIS6

Postby AndyP » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:35 am

In the installation readme file it states:

'Install OJS so that the files directory is NOT a subdirectory of the OJS installation and cannot be accessed directly via the web server.'

then the first process of installation is to

'extract the OJS archive to the desired location in your web documents directory'

I know I'm probably being stupid but these seem to contradict each other.

Could somebody clarify for me.

Thanks

Andy
AndyP

Postby asmecher » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:24 am

Hi AndyP,

OJS itself needs to be somewhere the web server can host, but the directory OJS stores its files in -- e.g. submission documents, etc -- shouldn't be accessible except indirectly via OJS's PHP scripts. The files directory is configured in config.inc.php.

If your webroot is in /var/www, for example, you can extract OJS into /var/www/ojs, but your files directory should *not* be a subdirectory of /var/www or else remote users will simply be able to point their browsers into that directory and download potentially private information directly. (Alternately, you can use htaccess limits to prevent users from browsing your files path if it is a subdirectory of /var/www.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby AndyP » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:52 am

Hi Alec

OK, thanks for that, I was misreading it - i'd already put the 'files' directory somewhere else.

I've got some harder questions though

when visiting my site via http://www.domainname.com/index.php I get the message "www.domainname.com\ could not be found"

note the \ instead of /

when i use the url http://[default web site ip address]/domaindirectory/index.php it takes me to the set-up.

any clues?
AndyP

Postby asmecher » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:32 pm

Hello AndyP,

Are you using the most recent release of OJS (currently 2.1.0-1)? There's a fix in place that should've corrected this issue.

At any rate, try configuring OJS with the base_path[your_journal_path_here] and base_path[index] directives; this should circumvent the issue.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby AndyP » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:36 am

The problem seemed to be related to using Firefox as everything worked fine in Internet Explorer.

It appears to have set up the databases correctly in MySQL.

I am now using Internet Explorer to avoid any other problems.

However when I try to login it either takes me to :

http://www.equinoxjournals.com//index.p ... dex%2Fuser

and does not log me in or it takes me to:

http://www.equinoxjournals.com//index.p ... gin/signIn

with the message 'The page cannot be displayed'

I have flicked between session_check_ip as on or off, with little success (we have a fixed IP so this shouldn't be a problem).

The current security config is:

force_ssl = Off
force_login_ssl = Off
session_check_ip = Off

Our server does not support HTTPS

The password checking seems to work OK. When I use an incorrect username or password the site performs correctly and says "Invalid username or password. Please try again"

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Andy
AndyP

Postby asmecher » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:25 am

Hi Andy,

The following should fix both your problems in Firefox and your login issue.

Edit classes/core/Request.inc.php, and find the getBasePath function (approx. line 89). Find the following line:
Code: Select all
if ($basePath == '/') {
and change it to
Code: Select all
if ($basePath == '/' || $basePath == '\\') {
This is caused by inconsistencies in PHP's dirname() implementation -- on Windows boxes, it'll sometimes return a backslash.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby BrianG » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:13 pm

I just wanted to point out that this change is not in OJS version 2.1. You may also want to consider posting this in the FAQ. This turned out to be the fix for me to get rid of the double-slash in the URL and the login-loop problems.

Windows 2000 Server
Apache 2.0.58
PHP 4.4.2
MySQL 5.0.22
OJS 2.1
BrianG

Postby asmecher » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:55 am

Hi all,

This fix will be released with OJS 2.1.1, which is due out shortly.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support