OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Renaming of Users / Deleting Users? direct mysql manipulati

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Renaming of Users / Deleting Users? direct mysql manipulati

Postby iaw4 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:50 am

I have to change the naming scheme of users my system. Fortunately, I still have few enough users to be able to do this by hand. Alas, what is a good way to do this for 100 users?

I could go into the mysql data base and change the user id's. in a sense, this would be easiest, but I am worried that OJS uses the user name as a key elsewhere, and that this would totally hose my OJS system. can this be done?

I could retype every user's information into a new user, then merge it, and then double check that the merge was right. I would need to copy the required fields only. Rather inconvenient, but doable.

is direct mysql modification safe?

sincerely,

/iaw
iaw4

Re: Renaming of Users / Deleting Users? direct mysql manipulati

Postby mcrider » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:29 am

Hi iaw,

This should be fine, but you'll also have to change the passwords as the password is based on a hash of the username + the password. So in each case you change the username, you have to issue
Code: Select all
UPDATE users SET password=md5(concat('(new username')', '(new password goes here)')) WHERE username='(old username)';

Make sure you make a backup of your DB and do some tests to make sure your changes work alright.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Return to OJS Technical Support