OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

New APA and MLA citation formats

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

New APA and MLA citation formats

Postby vgabler » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Hi,

I'm requesting that the reference styles in "How to cite item" in the reading tools be updated in the next version of OJS. I've done the research and verified the most up-to-date reference formats for each style, except ABNT. ABNT is apparently only used in Brazil, and the Web site is written only in Spanish (which I cannot read well enough to perform the necessary research). I also could not find that any change has been made to the MLA style (although they're notoriously difficult to research online because they want you to buy their manuals).The main change for these reference styles deals with the inclusion of DOIs. My coworker hacked a template on our test site to correct the APA style, and I'm including the changes below as general information. Also below I list examples of the new reference formats for APA, CSE (Counsel of Science Editors, which is the new name for CBE), and Turabian. I'd also like to suggest that a future version of OJS include Chicago because it is a commonly used reference style, both in the humanities and in some science/medical journals.

In the plugins/citationFormats/apa folder:

--- citation.tpl.orig Wed Aug 4 14:32:54 2010
+++ citation.tpl Wed Aug 4 14:41:16 2010
@@ -12,6 +12,7 @@
<div id="citation">
{assign var=authors value=$article->getAuthors()}
{assign var=authorCount value=$authors|@count}
+{assign var=doi value=$article->getDOI()}
{foreach from=$authors item=author name=authors key=i}
{assign var=firstName value=$author->getFirstName()}
{$author->getLastName()|escape}, {$firstName[0]|escape}.{if $i==$authorCount-2}, &amp; {elseif $i<$authorCount-1}, {/if}
@@ -20,5 +21,5 @@
({$article->getDatePublished()|date_format:'%Y'}).
{$article->getLocalizedTitle()}.
<em>{$journal->getLocalizedTitle()|capitalize}{if $issue}, {$issue->getVolume()|escape}</em>({$issue->getNumber()|escape}){else}</em>{/if}.
-{translate key="plugins.citationFormats.apa.retrieved" retrievedDate=$smarty.now|date_format:$dateFormatLong url=$articleUrl}
+{if $doi}doi: {$doi|escape}{/if}
</div>

Reference Examples:

CSE
Savage E, Ramsay M, White J, Beard S, Lawson H, Hunjan R, Brown D. 2005. Mumps outbreaks across England and Wales in 2004: observational study. BMJ [Internet]. [cited 2010 Feb 23]; 330(7500):1119-1120. Available from: http://www.bmj.com/cgi/reprint/330/7500/1119. doi:10.1136/bmj.330.7500.1119

APA
Wilens, T. E., & Biederman, J. (2006). Alcohol, drugs, and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: A model for the study of addictions in youth. Journal of Psychopharmacology, 20, 580-588. doi:10.1177/0269881105058776

Turabian
Cremedelacreme, Cosette. “An Examination of Gastronomic Imagery in the Later Poetry of Fifi LaRue.” Poetry Parisienne 13, no. 2 (2008): 23-43. doi:29.1027/00013-
2893.13.2.23 (accessed June 13, 2008).

Vanessa Gabler
vgabler

Re: New APA and MLA citation formats (and others)

Postby marchitelli » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:55 am

Hi,
I noted that in some citation plugins ( ABNT, CBE, MLA, Turabian) the publication date include the day of publication, but it is correct only for the citation of newspapers, not for research articles.

I propose to change
Code: Select all
{$article->getDatePublished()|date_format:'%e %b %Y'}

to
{$article->getDatePublished()|date_format:'%Y'}

(or similar, this is in /plugins/citationFormats/mla/citation.tpl)

Cheers,
Andrea
marchitelli

Re: New APA and MLA citation formats (and others)

Postby jerico » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:42 pm

Hi Andrea,

marchitelli wrote:(or similar, this is in /plugins/citationFormats/mla/citation.tpl)

I've tried to find this in our current development code base but I don't see this problem there (in the above cited file). The MLA citation style contains the year from the issue
{if $issue} ({$issue->getYear()}){/if}
and only the access date as a full date with day (which is ok, AFAICS).

Which OJS version are you looking at?

For ABNT I can see that year and month are included which IMO is correct for that citation style.

The only other styles that use something else than the year only seem to be CBE and Turabian, the latter seems to use it in the context of some kind of online access date also. I'm sorry to say that I know nothing about those two styles. So I cannot tell whether they incorrectly use the date. Can you point me to some standards document for those two styles so that I can check this?

jerico
jerico

Return to OJS Development