OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Using DOI's with OJS

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Re: Using DOI's with OJS

Postby istoyanov » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:13 am

Thanks a lot for the hint, Alec!
istoyanov

Postby istoyanov » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:51 am

Now, having the specified DOI format generated by OJS, it seems that we need[1] to display the DOIs "... in bibliographic headers for online AND print articles". Currently, OJS displays the DOI only in the "Indexing Metadata" reading tool, but I feel that it would be beneficial if there is a way to display the corresponding DOI, for example, besides the title in article view and, perhaps, below the abstract or above the title in the TOC (see the mock-up attached below).

My question here: is such a "DOI-integration" doable through simple editing of the journal templates?

[1] http://www.crossref.org/help/Content/06 ... ctices.htm
istoyanov

Postby asmecher » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:40 am

Hi istoyanov,

Yes, this should be a simple template modification. Anywhere that you have access to a PublishedArticle object, you should be able to call $publishedArticle->getDOI(). For example, in the Table of Contents listing (templates/issue/issue.tpl), you can add the DOI by dropping the following anywhere inside the {foreach from=$section.articles item=article} loop:
Code: Select all
{$article->getDOI()|escape}
(The $article variable in this case is actually a PublishedArticle object, not an Article object.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby istoyanov » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:29 am

Huge thanks, Alec! :D
istoyanov

Postby jalperin » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:54 pm

For all those interested in the use of DOI's in OJS, there is a proposed patch located here:
http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3401

This has not been tested and is only a proposed patch. This said, any interested persons could install it, try it, and providing some feedback. The patch allows journal managers to modify the way DOI's are created through an interface (Setup Step 2), instead of by programming something inside the getDOI() function.
jalperin

Postby mcyzyk » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:01 pm

the next release will generate DOIs as part of the article metadata, given a journal DOI prefix.

Where is this DOI then exposed in the metadata? In the Dublin Core feed? The METS feed? I'm not seeing it there. Is there something I need to configure so it shows up? I've already configured a journal prefix.

Thanks,

Mark Cyzyk
Johns Hopkins University
mcyzyk

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:58 pm

Hi Mark,

Which version of OJS are you using? Juan's patch was included in 2.2.3/2.3. The DOI is then included in the article indexing metadata in the Reading Tool, and is also embedded within the HTML galley page source as DC meta information. The METS plugin may be lagging behind in this regard, as may be others. Can you explain what you mean by Dublin Core feed before I add this as an entry (or entries) to Bugzilla?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby mcyzyk » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:10 pm

Thanks, James!

I am using a 2.3 beta version. The "DC" feed I was referring to is the Dublin Core exposed by default via OAI-PMH. We'd like to be able to harvest metadata, including any DOIs. I was thinking the DOI would be present both in the OAI-PMH feed and in the output of the METS plugin, but am not seeing it in either of those places.

Best regards,

Mark
mcyzyk

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:37 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the further detail! I've checked a number of plugins, and it looks like DOI information is missing more often than not. I've reported this as a general bug: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4965. This entry might get split up, but please feel free to CC yourself to it for further updates, and also add any comments you might have.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby crlsgms » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:14 pm

Hello everyone!

I wish to customize the DOI sulfix that i can atribute to the articles, and theres some suggestions on the journal itself, but i wish to know where can I see all the fields i can use, and maybe how can i customize automatic fileds, since 15 chars is the limit.

I wanna something like issn.year.v.n.id, or see what combination I can get with all the %X probabilities.

thanks!
crlsgms

Postby jalperin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:51 am

Carlos,

you should be able to modify the getDOI method by adding an extra special character for the issn and anything else you need. do send us a patch of your change.
jalperin

Postby jqj » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:11 pm

Carlos Gomes notes that DOI suffix templates are limited to 15 characters. DOIs of course have essentially unlimited lengths. Is there any particular reason for limiting suffix templates? Is the limitation just in the maxlength param in bs/manager/setup/1? That form tag is

input name="doiSuffixPattern" value="" size="15" maxlength="15" id="doiSuffixPattern" class="textField" type="text"

We'd prefer to be able to specify a more complex syntax for our DOIs, since we share our prefix among multiple services.
jqj

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:24 pm

Hi JQ,

You are correct about where the limitation resides. I don't believe there's any reason in particular that this limitation is so short, and I've added a bug report to that effect here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6290. Please feel free to CC yourself to the report for future updates. You can also implement the fix as described in the report itself.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby Tadas » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:14 pm

I want to add custom DOI for every single article, because our DOI for older issues were made by one pattern, newer by another pattern, so automaticaly we can't generate it in any way... Is there any possibility to enter manualy DOI for each article in metadata editor mode?

I'm using OJS 2.3.4.
Tadas

Postby jalperin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:24 pm

If I remember correctly. You can use the Custom Identifier field. You need to enable that in the Journal Settings (there's a place to use custom identifiers for issues and/or articles and/or galleys, you need to enable articles). Then set the DOI to use the custom identifier.

Another option is to hack your install... You can edit the getDOI function to use one pattern for older things.

You'd have to maintain that with upgrades, which is a bit of a pain, but it wouldn't be terrible...
jalperin

PreviousNext

Return to OJS Technical Support