OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Enhancement to display/functionality of the Import/Export

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
The Public Knowledge Project Support Forum is moving to http://forum.pkp.sfu.ca

This forum will be maintained permanently as an archived historical resource, but all new questions should be added to the new forum. Questions will no longer be monitored on this old forum after March 30, 2015.

Enhancement to display/functionality of the Import/Export

Postby vgabler » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:23 am

Hi,

I would like to suggest that the list of articles displayed for the Import/Export article functions display the article ID. Currently the list displays the Issue, Title, and Authors. However, I often am starting only with the Article ID when searching for an article to export, and I have to go to the Archives to look up the ID to find the other bits of information, and then I have to go back and search through for the article I want.

Also, I would suggest adding a search function to this as well. One of my journals has almost 6,000 articles in the system. Even once I know what I'm looking for, I still have to scroll through many pages to find what I need, when I simple search function would find it almost immediately.

I hope you can consider adding this functionality to a future version. If the information is helpful, I primarily use the Crossref Import/Export function, and it's in that section that I'm experiencing what seems to be a lot of time wasted looking for what I need.

Thanks for your consideration,

Vanessa Gabler
vgabler

Re: Enhancement to display/functionality of the Import/Export

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:10 am

Hi Vanessa,

I can add this as a feature request, but before I do, could you provide a bit more detail on what kind of situations result in needing to export a single article's information? (Just curiosity on my end.)

In the meantime, try the following workaround: if you know the article ID of the submission you want to export, you should actually be able to create a URL to do so directly. For example, if you want a Crossref export of the article with submission ID 4, you can enter the following URL:

Code: Select all
http://example.com/index.php/myJournal/manager/importexport/plugin/CrossRefExportPlugin/exportArticle/4

... whereas exporting the 3rd issue of a journal could be accomplished via the following link:

http://example.com/index.php/myJournal/manager/importexport/plugin/CrossRefExportPlugin/exportIssue/3

Not exactly user-friendly, but a very efficient way to export if you know the submission/issue ID at hand.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:14 am

... and actually, just to follow up: it looks like the above trick will work for other export functions. For example, the Articles & Issues export of Submission ID 4:

http://example.com/index.php/myJournal/manager/importexport/plugin/NativeImportExportPlugin/exportArticle/4

It doesn't work *exactly* the same for each export function, but looking at the way the function creates a download link URL on the export page should give you some idea on how to format a direct export request URL.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby vgabler » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:29 am

Thank you so much for the information, James. I needed to export single articles to correct the metadata and resubmit to Crossref after I received error messages for several articles (the problems in the metadata were a result of the journal staff's actions, such as placing parentheses around a last name, and not due to the OJS export function). I had the article ID, which composes the last part of the DOI, from the conflict report and then had to investigate what/where the article was and export it. Unfortunately, this occurred for the journal with 70 years of back issues. However, your suggestions will be greatly helpful in the future, and I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Vanessa
vgabler

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:11 am

Hi Vanessa,

Yikes, 70 years! One of the limitations of the usual testing we do is that we don't typically test while using, for example, a huge backlog of 1000s of journal articles; so sometimes we miss out on what would be near-obligatory shortcut functions like this. I've added this as a feature request, although it likely won't make it inot the next version of OJS: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5608. Please feel free to CC yourself to that report for future updates. Glad that the workaround is of use in the meantime.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Development