OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Enhancement to display/functionality of the Import/Export

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Enhancement to display/functionality of the Import/Export

Postby vgabler » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:23 am

Hi,

I would like to suggest that the list of articles displayed for the Import/Export article functions display the article ID. Currently the list displays the Issue, Title, and Authors. However, I often am starting only with the Article ID when searching for an article to export, and I have to go to the Archives to look up the ID to find the other bits of information, and then I have to go back and search through for the article I want.

Also, I would suggest adding a search function to this as well. One of my journals has almost 6,000 articles in the system. Even once I know what I'm looking for, I still have to scroll through many pages to find what I need, when I simple search function would find it almost immediately.

I hope you can consider adding this functionality to a future version. If the information is helpful, I primarily use the Crossref Import/Export function, and it's in that section that I'm experiencing what seems to be a lot of time wasted looking for what I need.

Thanks for your consideration,

Vanessa Gabler
vgabler

Re: Enhancement to display/functionality of the Import/Export

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:10 am

Hi Vanessa,

I can add this as a feature request, but before I do, could you provide a bit more detail on what kind of situations result in needing to export a single article's information? (Just curiosity on my end.)

In the meantime, try the following workaround: if you know the article ID of the submission you want to export, you should actually be able to create a URL to do so directly. For example, if you want a Crossref export of the article with submission ID 4, you can enter the following URL:

Code: Select all
http://example.com/index.php/myJournal/manager/importexport/plugin/CrossRefExportPlugin/exportArticle/4

... whereas exporting the 3rd issue of a journal could be accomplished via the following link:

http://example.com/index.php/myJournal/manager/importexport/plugin/CrossRefExportPlugin/exportIssue/3

Not exactly user-friendly, but a very efficient way to export if you know the submission/issue ID at hand.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:14 am

... and actually, just to follow up: it looks like the above trick will work for other export functions. For example, the Articles & Issues export of Submission ID 4:

http://example.com/index.php/myJournal/manager/importexport/plugin/NativeImportExportPlugin/exportArticle/4

It doesn't work *exactly* the same for each export function, but looking at the way the function creates a download link URL on the export page should give you some idea on how to format a direct export request URL.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby vgabler » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:29 am

Thank you so much for the information, James. I needed to export single articles to correct the metadata and resubmit to Crossref after I received error messages for several articles (the problems in the metadata were a result of the journal staff's actions, such as placing parentheses around a last name, and not due to the OJS export function). I had the article ID, which composes the last part of the DOI, from the conflict report and then had to investigate what/where the article was and export it. Unfortunately, this occurred for the journal with 70 years of back issues. However, your suggestions will be greatly helpful in the future, and I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Vanessa
vgabler

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:11 am

Hi Vanessa,

Yikes, 70 years! One of the limitations of the usual testing we do is that we don't typically test while using, for example, a huge backlog of 1000s of journal articles; so sometimes we miss out on what would be near-obligatory shortcut functions like this. I've added this as a feature request, although it likely won't make it inot the next version of OJS: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5608. Please feel free to CC yourself to that report for future updates. Glad that the workaround is of use in the meantime.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Development